11. Poles Apart

As Akshat hurried towards the pool, he found Guddan flailing her hands helplessly. An absolute feeling of horror dawned as he realized that she couldn't swim and he could end up losing her.

Without thinking for another second, he jumped into the pool and swimming towards her quickly, caught hold of her hand and pulled her close.

GK looked on confused as her so-called-husband patted her cheeks almost desperately. His voice was panicky and his actions were almost feverish. She had actually forgotten how it felt to be cared about.

"Guddan...are you alright?" Akshat asked scared.

"I am fine, Mr. Jindal!" GK replied amused as Akshat sighed in relief and before she could realize what was happening, he had her tucked into his embrace.

She couldn't make head or tail of the situation. She could feel the man's shoulders shaking as he buried her face into his shoulder.

The water was cold so was the weather and yet...

It felt warm.

The eyes that had fluttered close flew open as her brain registered the words that had emanated from depths of her being.

"You seem to be enjoying yourself! I am not sure if I feel the same way..." GK spoke as Akshat withdrew from her and looked at her confused.

"Your hands..." GK signalled pointing to his hands over her bare back as he looked at his hands and then examined her to see her covered in nothing but lingerie.

Shocked, he snatched his hands back and covered his eyes, "Sorry!" He shrieked, embarrassed.

"You should be!" GK retorted rolling her eyes as she started swimming towards the edge of pool.

As she swam past him, realization dawned and disbelief seeped in, "You can swim?!" He shouted.

"Of course, I can!" GK replied turning around to face him as he turned his face away flustered.

"Jab itni sharam aati hai Mr. Jindal toh chance par dance maarne ki koshish kyun karte hain?!" GK asked as she slid the bathrobe over her shoulders and tied its string.

"I wasn't trying to do anything!" He shouted in his defence as he stepped out of the pool and caught the towel, GK threw in his direction.

"You should never judge a book by its cover! Upar se toh aap kaafi seedhe lagte hain but andar se..." GK teased as Akshat removed the towel to defend himself, yet again.

"It isn't like that! I just thought that..."

"I was drowning?!" GK completed appearing right in front of him as Akshat nodded.

"You see, I had developed fear of water when one fine day in my childhood, I fell into a pond and was almost on the verge of dying. I carried that sinking feeling with me for quite a few years until I decided to conquer it. It wasn't easy...every time I stepped into water, I felt someone dragging me down but I resisted till that day came. Someone pushed me from behind into the pool and I didn't die. I emerged from the depths using the very water. Four years, Mr. Jindal...It took me four years to crush that sinking feeling with my very own hands!"

'Someone pushed me from behind...'

What did she mean? Why would someone push her?

"And when I had finally decided to accustom my muscles to their favourite exercise, you went and spoiled it by thinking that I was drowning! I don't know what your eyes saw but I was just enjoying water's embrace or maybe Jayce isn't the only one you are jealous of..." GK trailed purportedly as she started to leave.