✔Chapter 4

Maize woke up in the middle of the night to Vlad and his father talking and rubbed her eyes tiredly as she sat up.

From what she had heard so far Vlad had told his dad he really couldn't fly.

"Oh well. Never mind. Night, Vladdy." The Count said.

"Is that it?" Vlad said as his father was about to leave. "Aren't you at least going to say you're disappointed?"

"Well, how could I?" The Count said. "I mean, if it wasn't for you finding that Werewolf hair that cheating mother of yours would still be here now... Running her ice cool fingers through my hair..."

"You really love her, don't you?" Maize spoke up.

The Count only seemed to notice she was awake at that moment and jumped lightly in surprise at her voice.

"Love her? Whatever gave you that idea?" The Count replied.

He then placed a kiss on his son's forehead before leaving the room.

Maize looked over at Vlad to see him looking incredibly guilty.

"Still feel like you did the right thing?" She asked him gently.

Vlad met her gaze with his own and sighed.

"I don't know anymore." He replied.

****

Maize and Vlad walked into the school building just in time to see Ingrid yelling in anger as she slammed multiple lockers shut.

"Alright, Ingrid?" Vlad asked nervously, a little intimidated by his sister's anger.

"Yes!" Ingrid yelled, still very annoyed.

"I'll let you deal with this." Maize said, before heading off to class.

Lunch time came around and Vlad was looking guilty as ever as he sat with Maize and Chloe.

"What's up with you?" Chloe asked.

"Nothing's up." Vlad said. "Apart from ketchup sandwiches. Again."

"So, no guilt about the Werewolf hair?" Maize asked.

"No. I definitely did the right thing." Vlad spoke, though he seemed uncertain.

"I thought you said you didn't know if you did anymore." Maize reminded him.

"Well, yeah, but... Now that I've had time to think about it, I definitely think it was." Vlad said, though his tone was still uncertain. "It's just, dad does seem really upset. I mean, what if him and mum were meant to be together?"

"Hey, dudes." The cheery voice of Jonathan, a classmate of theirs, spoke as he approached them. "Mind if I join you?"

"Yes." Chloe, Vlad and Maize replied, but were promptly ignored as he sat down across from Chloe and stole Vlad's sandwich.

"Thanks. So I hear your mum's visiting." Jonathan said.

"You heard wrong." Vlad replied.

Robin then chose that moment to come over to the table with his hands cupped.

"Hey, Vlad. Does your mum like slugs at all?" The boy asked.

"Robin." Chloe lightly scolded her brother.

"Oh, right, yeah. Mum's the word. Absolutely. " Robin said and sent them a wink. "But it's so cool having her living at ours."

"Robin." Vlad and Maize joined Chloe this time in trying to stop the boy from spilling their secret to Jonathan.