11 - A night at the Hovet

Start from the beginning

Freddie's hand was clenched in fist on the table and his nostrils were visibly inflated.

"Of course not, Rog." I spoke on impulse and Freddie rolled his eyes.

"Great I did not want to dine alone!" He spoke contentedly as the waiter approached and Freddie glared at me.

After Roger made his request he kept smiling at me and at Freddie, who had assumed his moody temper again.

"Are you two having a date?" Roger asked casually while Freddie almost spit the vodka.

"Why are you asking this Rog?" I said as Freddie recovered.

"Well we're five counting on you Juls, and here in the only two of you I do not see any other reason."

He began his explanation but thank God, John Richard Deacon sat next to me.

"Good evening! Sorry for the delay, I was on the phone with Ronnie."

Deacy sat between me and Freddie who cleared his throat and smirked at John.

"Delayed for what, dariling?" Freddie's annoyance with John and Roger's presence was visible from his manner of speaking and his posture, it was as if he would spit fire at any second. He really hated it when things did not go his way.

"You told me that you were going to have dinner with Jully, I did not think it was fair that you had dinner with her and I can see that Rog did not think it fair either!" Deacy took the cloth napkin over the crockery slowly unfolding and placing it on his lap.

Roger's blue eyes alternated between John and Freddie's looks. It was as if he was waiting for something to happen.

"I thought it was clear that it was just our dinner." Freddie emphasized our word.

Roger and I were just spectators at that dinner, and that was clear, Freddie was looking directly into John's eyes in an intimidating way and if I were the one who was getting that look I swear I'd faint, but Deacy barely seemed to bother.

"You swear? Because I understood that we were all going to have dinner with you." John signaled the waiter and Freddie's left hand, which was clenched into fist, tapped lightly on the table.

Contrary to the laid-back atmosphere of the scrabble or the total attunement they had on stage, only the almost tangible tension was present at that dinner table.

"Well, I'm glad you're here!" I intervened trying to ease the tension.

Freddie sighed deeply, maybe a little too loud, which made the other two look at him.

"I should have asked for a table for two." Freddie murmured and Deacy looked amused at him.

***

The dinner for both of us planned by Freddie failed once we became four, he was visibly irritated, even I was afraid of what his temper would be like when we were alone. Our gazes met a few times during dinner, he had drunk a considerable amount of vodka which also worried me.

"Ronnie will meet us at the show in Glasgow!"

I smiled at John as if I understood something of what he said, and John seemed to be there for a single purpose: to find out what was going on between me and Freddie.

I was an only child and I never had anyone to look me and Deacy seemed to have adopted me as his sister, so I had an older brother now. John touched my shoulder and I blinked a few times as if I was coming out of trance.

"I'm sorry Deacy, I did not hear what you said." I shrugged my shoulders and Freddie rolled his eyes and took the glass again to his mouth taking a good amount of vodka.