Chapter 11: Bracelet Number Two

Start from the beginning

“Earth to Dune,” Nairobi said while waving a hand in front of me.

“Yeah, what?” I said.

“Should we interrupt them?” she asked.

“They look happy,” I said.

“One of them does,” she replied. Then I realized that she was referring to Cairo and Sunny, not Cairo and Fifer. Ugh. Snap out of it, Dune. “Well, our song practice isn’t over yet. We should go over there and tell them to go back to the music room.” She was about to walk up to them, but I stopped her.

“What if they want to stay?” I asked.

“He can stay if he wants to, Dune. After all,” she glanced at Sunny. “Looks like Sunny’s the one with the drinks.” She proceeded to Sunny. I walked slowly behind her.

Yes, I asked her what if ‘they’ wanted to stay. Yes, she answered that ‘he’ can stay if he wanted to. Because even if my words don’t say it the way I mean it, my best friend understands me perfectly.

The girls and Cai noticed us when we were just a few feet away from the stage. Nairobi sat beside Sunny. He looked uneasy, like he was caught doing something he shouldn’t. I stood beside Nairobi, who was sitting on the aisle seat. One of the girls turned the music off. Cairo went offstage.

“Sorry girls. They told us you were having a song practice. We didn’t mean to steal them away from you too long,” Fifer said with a smile.

“Sorry Dune,” Sunny said.

“Where’s my caffe latte?” Nairobi asked Sunny while inspecting the coffee cups.

“It’s fine,” I told Sunny.

“Found it!” Nai declared. She put a straw in the cup and started sipping.

“Here is yours, Dune,” Sunny stood up to hand me my white chocolate mocha and a straw. I thanked him.

“Sorry guys,” Cairo finally spoke. “Fifer and the girls were at the coffee shop when we arrived. We walked back together and they invited us to watch their dance.” Nairobi and I just nodded.

Then Sunny’s phone rang. He excused himself to answer the call. I sat on his seat and drank coffee beside Nai. I kept biting my straw. Cairo was about to sit beside me, but I put his and Sunny’s coffee cups on the seat next to me. See, I’m not good with mixed signals. I like sending out clear messages.

When Sunny came back, he looked worried. He explained that Cassandra broke her leg and was in the hospital. We understood that he had to go and the song practice had to be cut short. Before he left, he apologized to me.

“I can walk you guys home,” Cairo offered.