IF... lacking lackey is unlucky

White room, bright light, strong smells of anesthetic and medicine.

A pair of contrasted men were quietly watching an examination of a rather young man from behind the glass wall of what seemed to be an operating room.

One of them was wearing an all-black office suit, while the other one standing next to him was dressed in a white coat lab.

"How's his body doing?" asked an old man wearing a double layered suit, taking a glance to his side.

"His body is in good shape. All his internal organs are working properly. He seems to have a regular work out as well. All in all, he's doing fine"

"And his state of mind?" asked him further, looking back to the young man lying on an operation bed.

"That's-- well, this is probably will not be pleasant to hear about"

"No need to polish your words, Doctor. Just tell me what I need to know"

"He has passed [frenzy] stage two in the past weeks. I understood that you respect his wish for not going for a [repair] and continue with the experiment" explained the doctor further "However, the decision backfired and reflected badly on his mind performance"

The doctor took a short pause as looking at what was supposed to be the young man report card filled in with complicated charts and numbers.

"That's fine, I kinda expect the situation to turn into this direction" mumbled the old man whilst bringing his palm close to his lips "Give him his usual medicines. Just doubled the dosage from last time"

"But, Sir, this is dangerous," said the doctor seemed to be disagreeing with the old man decision "I suggest we stop this test, continuing with this subject won't bring up useful information anymore, anyway"

"Yeah, he's no longer needed. That's why we're going to dispose of him"

"Dis-- wait, Sir! If we don't need him anymore, isn't it best to just let him go and return him to his normal life?"

The old man twitched at the doctor's last statement. The man suited up in white realized he had stepped on a land mine.

"Normal?" said the old man while repeating and stressing over one word which turned his switch on.

"Look here, Sir Doctor. Which part of him can be returned to normal?" uttered him with a cold smile on his wrinkled, distinct complexion.

Confronted with such a question, the doctor could only take a huge gulp as a response.

"Well, if your memory-alter project was at least showing a result, we could give him a peace of mind, then left him somewhere to wait out till his last breath"

"But, at this moment, we are not even able to do that much, can we, Doctor?" asked him again, while turning his gaze back to the young man.

The doctor could no longer talk back to the old man presented facts. He then gripped tighter on his chart board and uttered words he had not wanted to say the most.

"I understood, Sir. I'll proceed as commanded"

"Don't fret, Doctor. This is kindness in our own way" concluded him while patting the doctor's shoulder.

He then walked away from the glass room leaving the perturbed doctor all by himself.

***

"Hi Terry"

"H-- Hi Dr. Larner. How's the result?"

"You took care of your body well. That's good" answered the doctor while posing a business smile "However, you may need to watch more carefully for your version's condition"