Part Fourteen

Mari: Here's some more!!!

Mari curled up under the blankets on the bed. She had her eyes closed, listening to the beeping sounds coming from the various machines. She stirred as the door opened and someone walked in. she squeezed her eyes tight as the person lifted the corner of the blanket and light made her vision red.

“Mari?” the person asked. “Do you want any food?” It was Mrs. Marie.

Mari shook her head then tucked it into her arms.

“Oh… Okay…” Mrs. Marie stood there for a second. She reached out a hand and brushed the hair away from Mari’s face. Mari’s entire body flinched at Marie’s touch. She pulled the blanket back down to block out the light. Mrs. Marie sat on the bed and put a hand on Mari’s back. “It’s okay Mari.” She whispered.

No one had been able to touch Mari for the past few days. Stein couldn’t put an IV on Mari because she would start screaming. There were small pads on her chest and back monitoring her heartbeat. Mari was at Stein and Mrs. Marie’s house since she had come back from Medusa’s.

“Mari,” Mrs. Marie said. “Tomorrow you can go back to school. Stein said you were well enough…” Mari peeked out of the blankets, raising her eyebrows in a question. “You’re not going to say anything?” Marie said. Mari sat up, shaking her head. “Okay,” Marie said patiently.

Mari looked down at Marie’s pregnant belly. She pointed at it.

“Oh!” Marie said. “You can touch her!”

Mari reached out her bandaged right arm and lightly touched Marie’s swollen stomach. She smiled as she felt the small baby girl move around.

“What do you think we should name her?” Marie asked.

Mari looked up and opened her mouth. She touched her throat and sighed. She put her finger in the air and made a B with an invisible pencil. She spelled out the letters E L L A after the B.

Marie smiled. “Bella?”

Mari nodded. “Mom’s…” She rasped. “…Name…”

Marie stroked Mari’s cheek, causing her to flinch again. “You spoke! That’s good!”

Mari nodded.

“Okay. You should get sleep for tomorrow.” Marie left.

Mari snuggled back under the covers, closing her eyes again. Images crept into her vision and she sat up. ‘Medusa! Medusa! Medusa!’ Her mind screamed. “Mar… ie!” She called.

Her door opened and Marie stepped in. “What’s wrong!” She walked over and tucked Mari’s hair behind her ears. “What?”

Mari opened her arms and Marie sat on the bed and hugged her. Mari rested her head on Marie’s chest. She closed her eyes again and tucked her legs up to her chest, trying to make herself small. “It’s okay. I won’t hurt you ever, Mari.” Mari let out a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding. Mari thought if she listened really close, she could hear Marie and the person in her stomach’s soul. She smiled as she drifted off.

“O…kay.”