Part Forty-Three

A/N: This took a little while and i left you guys on a little cliffhanger... That's mean. Well i hope you like this part and make sure to look at my other stories

o3o

Mari couldn’t feel her body when she woke up, and she let out a soft breath in relief. She felt none of the pain, nothing. She felt something in her arm and moved just enough to feel that it was an IV. She didn’t move, knowing that the substance in leading into the IV was probably preserving her life.

She moved her hand a little, feeling something soft. It was fabric, and something else. As her feeling returned a little, she realized that someone was holding her hand. She moved her head a little. Big mistake.

Pain shot down her back and she gasped a little. The machine that was monitoring her heart began to beep furiously as her pulse raged in her ears.

“Mari…?” a voice said, and Mari focused on it, trying to make the pain go away. “Crona! Get Stein!”

Mari opened her eyes a little and looked up at Ray’s face. “R-Ray?” she asked.

“Mari!” another voice said and she recognized it as Kidd. He came into her line of vision and she tried to smile a little.

Stein walked in and moved to Mari. “Mari.” He said. She felt something sharp slip into her arm and something ran into her body.

Suddenly, the snake in her moved, causing her body to jerk. “Mari!” Ray screamed and clutched her arm.

Something stabbed into Mari’s stomach and her eyes widened as pain ripped through her. She looked up, seeing Stein’s hardened eyes, one of his hands stabbing into her stomach.

“Stein…?” she asked, a small trickled of blood streaking its way down her face. She coughed as he pulled the snake from her body.

“M-Mari!” Ray said again, her voice shaking.

Mari moved a little on the table she was on, blood spurting from her lips. Stein strangled the snake in his hand until it stopped moving, dead. He couldn’t tear his eyes away from the sight that was Mari’s insides.

“Wh-what?” Ray asked, looking with Stein.

All of the dark tendrils that had grown in Mari’s body, were pulsating and moving with the flow of her blood, filling in for her mission organs. The black blood sealed her skin and the two looked away from Mari.

Mari gasped for air, her heart pounding in her ears. She looked around the room, her black eyes panicked. She sat up, fire pulling through her body.

“Mari, don’t-“ Stein began.

Mari slid her legs out of the bed and stood, her body shaking, barely able to hold up her weight.

“Mari!” Ray said, trying to grab Mari’s arm.

Mari stumbled forward, her legs freezing when she stopped in front of a big mirror on one of the walls. She began to tremble when she saw her reflection, her hands shaking.

He body was emaciated, to say the least. You could see her ribs clearly through her skin, which was pale and thin looking, her veins visible. Her cheeks were sunken, her eyes looking dead, cold. The red keshin eyes on her stomach stared back at her and the white bandages wrapping around her chest, shorts hanging loosely on her hips.