My mother placed her hand in his, shaking it as her eyes never left his.

If my momma don't quit, I'll turn the fuck up in this living room.

"So ummm...you can have a seat," Daddy said, sitting down in his recliner chair.

Kross nodded, glancing at me. I shrugged as I pouted mouthing "sorry" for getting him into this shit.  I never bought a guy home, but I've dated guys.

This shit was not part of my plan tonight.

"You thirsty?" Mommy questioned, standing up. "I'll get you some water"

she walked into the kitchen quickly, disappearing as she left us three in here.  It was silence.  That awkward silence with only the TV playing in the background.

"Nice hat you got there," Daddy said, sippin on his infamous 8-ball.

"Preciate it"

"Favorite baseball team?

"Daddy" I whined.

"Shh..." he placed his finger to his lip, waving me off.

Kross adjusted the brim of his hat before smirking again.

"Somethin like that" he replied, staring at daddy without blinking.

Daddy nodded as he sipped from his glass bottle.

"I' ma LA Sox wearer myself"

"Oh, word...that hat real popular in Compton huh?"

I looked over at Kross who squinted at my dad. It's like they were speaking in this kind of code and I had no clue what the hell they were talking about.

"Yeah, Mariners hat real popular in Slauson right?" Daddy questioned back.

Mommy returned with a bottle of Evian straight from the freezer, handing it to Kross. He thanked her as he took a swig from the cold water, screwing the cap back.

"So where ya'll goin tonight?" Daddy drilled.

"Dad...you're wasting our time. I got school tomorrow" I spat, rolling my eyes.

"I know what you got tomorrow. I wanna see what kind of dude hanging round my daughter"

"Jus gonna take her ta get sum to eat, you know? Cruise down Crenshaw, check out some views" Kross glanced over at me.

"Ohh that sounds nice. Remember we used to do that when we were young E?" Mommy said, looking over at daddy with a smile.

"Yeah...I remember"

Daddy said as he glanced at mommy, but he wasn't smiling.  She pressed her lips together before looking back at the TV.

"Look here Cash"

"Kross" he corrected with no emotion.

Daddy nodded, leaning forward as he placed his bottle in his cup holder on his reclining chair.

"Yeah...that, Look here cuh, that's my baby girl and whatever you do to her I will do to you...understand?"

I sighed heavily as slumped down in the couch, folding my arms tighter as I shook my head, making my curls slightly shake.

"Yeah, I hear you, sir. On the real, I just wanna get to know her, see where her mind at and take her to get sum ta eat. You know? Nun more or less" Kross said in his raspy voice.

Daddy stared at him for a long moment. He looked over at me.

"Midnight," he said.

"What?" I said looking up at him, confused.