My pulse pounded as I quickly hurried over to the building and crouched close to the wall, taking a moment to tie my hair up into a bun to keep it out of my face and out of the way. I mentally thanked Tobias for giving me the tie when we'd been training.

I hadn't taken it off my wrist since then.

As I did so, I scanned the wall of the warehouse looking for a door, gaze flitting to and fro. I felt a cold prickle and crouched, looking around, feeling like someone was watching me. I didn't know what to expect but I had a very bad feeling that it wasn't just Jasper lurking around.

"I'm coming," I whispered, clenching my jaw as I quickly started creeping forward, keeping low to the wall and the ground. I made my way down the entire building face and turned left, hugging the rusted metal of the warehouse's exterior until I found a door.

I jiggled the handle and to my frustration it was locked.

I bared my teeth and the red haze inside me erupted: I grabbed the handle of the door with both hands and angrily jerked, but instead of forcing the door to open I ripped the whole damn thing off its hinges with a metallic bang and nearly fell over. I blinked, nearly losing focus, when I realized I was holding what had to have been a five hundred pound solid steel door in the air with one hand. My face twitched and I swallowed, fright threatening to rise up through the rage.

No, I told myself, quietly setting the door against the warehouse. No, if you're strong enough to do this, good. You're gonna need it. Just get inside, grab your family, and get the fuck out.

I took a deep breath and pulled the noise cancelers out of my pocket, digging them into my ears and carefully switching them on. All sound vanished, from the salty roar of the ocean behind me to the sensation of air simply existing against my eardrums, I heard absolutely nothing. Going in without the use of my ears would be dangerous since I could only rely on my eyes but I had no other choice and I wasn't going to let anyone tell me otherwise.

I crept into the dark of the warehouse with every single hair on my body standing up.

The interior was big and full of rusted metal shipping crates from a shipyard. They loomed overhead and all around, forming odd isles that slipped through the building like a maze. Narrowing my eyes, I crouched and lunged outward, sailing into the air and landing on one.

I scanned my surroundings, quickly and efficiently, looking for anything that might tell me where my family was. I kept my eyes peeled for any sign of living people or vampires but to my confusion the whole place was devoid of anything and everything. I saw a doorway on the other side of the warehouse leading into a side building that looked promising and focused.

With another lunge, I sprang across the gaps between the huge metal crates, bouncing from place to place until I could land with my feet on the ground and make my way over. I smelled something when I put my hand on the door and stiffed, realizing it was blood.

Human blood.

I snatched the handle of the door and carefully pulled it open, trying to see through the filter of red rage that pulsed and burned inside me, as if trying to claw its way out. Dark stairs met my searching gaze. I glanced behind me, scanning the bizarre warehouse, then hesitantly began to make my way down into the deeper part of it, keeping one hand against the collapsing concrete of the wall to steady myself.

I focused on my breathing as I hit the bottom, making my way forward, dim lighting filtering through a series of bizarre vents through the curved hall before me. I passed through the shadow of a huge ventilation fan as I crept along the corridor, keeping close to the wall, following the enticing smell of blood the way a police dog would.