|• chapter - 18 •|

Start from the beginning

'I don't know. It's just a feeling. Like I know it but I can't do anything about it and you're right. I really don't care.' I replied back.

Annaya it is supposed to be like that. You'll hurt him. A lot. And then you'll regret meeting him and you'll do something stupid. You don't want that. You shouldn't care about him.

'But I-I can't seem to stop myself. I want to talk to him. And yesterday I was sad when he told me to go inside. If sara wasn't up, I would've cried most probably.'

Then that is all the more reason to stay away from him. If you won't hurt him then he'll hurt you. That has happened a lot of times. He acts hot and cold. You're not used to that. You can't get yourself hurt again.

'I know that. You're right. I should stay away from him. I don't want to get hurt and I don't want to hurt him. I should just stay away. And I will now.'

The conversation and my task, both came to an end and we were given a little lunch break before the rally would begin.

All four of us took our lunch packs handed over by the hospital team and chose a spot near the river. It was so beautiful. The soft rhythmic movement of the water and the cold air blowing the leaves nearby as the surface sparkled like pearls on floor and even a few fishes were visible.

We talked about some random things and then we started teasing Ali about Enaas and then Ahmed and Sara turned their backs on me and started teasing me too.

"When will you be getting married Ms. Khan?" Ahmed joked as Sara chimed in, "sooner than you!" And we all laughed.

"I think Annaya already has a groom chosen doesn't she? Huh?" Ali budged my shoulder with his lunch pack, wiggling his eyebrows as I smiled mischievously.

"Who is it Ms. Annaya? Please reveal this secret, everyone is dying to know. Is it Dr. Shehryar?" Ahmed joked, acting like a news reporter but his last statement made me go pale.

"I‐I-I-m-" I started but Sara interrupted saying something along the lines of 'leave her alone you guys. She's not dying to get married like you people.'

Both Ali and Ahmed looked at each other and burst out laughing as Sara made a weird face. I however was still lost in Ahmed's last statement 'is it Dr.Shehryar?'

I wanted to say no, I mean its obviously a no I guess but why don't I feel confident in saying so? And me and Dr. Shehryar? Lol, never a chance. Ahmed is dumb and he speaks without thinking.

I stood up with my empty lunch box to throw it away but as I turned I saw Dr. Shehryar standing near a tree with some other doctors and staring straight at me. Our voice was audible enough to let him hear us and it scared me to the bone. I shifted my eyes away from him as I threw my trash in the bin and went to sit with my friends again.

"Oh hey, I heard about Manaal." Sara spoke licking her sauce and both Ahmed and Ali looked at me. Sara and Manaal were friends through me and she too knew about Manaal's shaadi(marriage).

"Who's Manaal? And what's wrong with her?" Ahmed asked curiously and I sighed looking at a silently smiling Sara.

"Manaal is my best friend and she's getting married soon also, you all are invited to the wedding. So shut up and nut up!" I said and before anybody could say anything else, the rally began.