•CHAPTER 2•

I felt something press against my stomach. I ignored it a few times but then it happened again and again and again. Yawning, I opened my eyes and found Sara ready to poke me again but this time I stopped her and lifted my head up from the table.

Apparently it's our first work day here at the hospital and we were waiting for Dr.shehryar to come and tell us what we are supposed to do. I was about to hit Sara for waking me up when the dragon(Dr.khan ) himself entered the room and started speaking ;"Good morning everyone," he spoke in his deep, velvety voice which I don't know why, sent shivers down my spine.

After hearing our reply to his so-called greeting, he started talking again;" ...today two of you will accompany me in the ER and the other two will go for rounds. These black devices you have are called 'pagers' and when they beep you have to check them and keep them with you at all times."

Hearing this I took out my pager and examined it for a second, really it was just a simple device with a little screen and a few buttons, one for paging and one for receiving. I put it back inside and directed my attention to the talk once again ;"...you have a small red book too, this has all the important rules, codes and some diseases with definitions. In other words, it is THE BOOK, so don't lose it, okay ? Now Dr.Annaya and Dr.Ahmed will accompany me in ER while you both..." He said pointing towards Ali and Sara ;" ...will go on rounds, you will find Dr.Nadia with you, good luck". And with that he left, again. Sighing I quickly picked up my things and followed him to the ER with Ahmed right behind me.

Entering the ER, I felt a rush of adrenaline course through my body. Ignoring it I quickly wore my gloves and rushed off to one of the patients that were brought in by a pair of paramedics and boy was this bloody. A lady in her late 30's with a broken hand and bleeding head was lying infront of me and what was I doing ?! Thinking weather I should talk to Dr.shehryar or should I just take her for a CT scan by myself. I contemplated on this thought for a minute before deciding to take her for a CT myself because Dr.shehryar will too, say the same thing and it would be useless to wait for him, so without wasting any more time I took the patient to the lab and got her CT done along with an MRI to ensure that there wasn't any other injury or something. The MRI came first and was good however i had a feeling that the CT wouldn't be so good due to the bleeding head.As suspected the CT scan came back bad.

I took it to Dr.shehryar but the problem was, many bad thoughts were running through my mind like what if he gets mad at me for not taking his permission and doing things on my own accord?!, What am I supposed to do?! I should've asked Dr.shehryar before getting the CT scan done. I cursed myself and then shook my head to get rid of these thoughts and knocked on the door.

After hearing a 'come in' I entered and handed him the scan, telling him about my patient, Mrs.Saad. He examined the scan carefully and said;" She has to under go surgery as she has cerebral hematoma." After a few moments he asked me ;" What is cerebral hematoma doctor ?!"

"It is a condition where there's bleeding in the brain due to an injury and it has to be treated before the person goes brain dead." I replied quickly, in one breath, and he looked at me, blankly, stared at me before nodding his head and telling me to go prep Mrs.saad for her surgery.

I wanted to ask him if I could scrub in because it was a brain surgery and I wouldn't like to miss it at all. I was broken out of my reverie when Dr.shehryar spoke again ;" Oh and Dr.Annaya you can scrub in". Hearing this my happiness knew no bounds at that time and I just wanted to squeal and jump and just sing around laughing like a maniac, I mean this was my first surgery!!!

I nodded and quickly fled his office. On my way I thought about his office, it wasn't even an office, more like a judgement place or something. Scary and dark. Okay ! I'm being a bit dramatic but it was scary and it gave me creeps.