- twenty-nine -

"What the fuck was that about?" I fumed after closing the door of Taehyung's apartment.

The ride back home had been extremely uncomfortable and quite frankly, probably the most intense car ride I had ever experienced. Not only was Taehyung driving really fast, but we also seemed to hit every red light possible on the way home. He hadn't peeped as much as a word the whole time and neither had I, avoiding confrontation on purpose and giving him space.

However, I couldn't keep quiet anymore.

"What do you mean?" Taehyung glanced up from the cup of water he had grabbed from the kitchen, seeming completely clueless as to where my exasperation was even coming from.

"I mean how you were about to break that boy's neck with your eyes," I explained, my irritation flaring.

He became dark. "I just didn't like the way he was ogling you."

"I hadn't even noticed the way he was ogling me," I finger-quoted, rolling my eyes. I was beginning to suspect that Taehyung was exaggerating. And even if that boy was eyeing me like that, so what? "Why do you even care? It's just some random weirdo. So what does it matter who's looking at me and who isn't? You're the one that's next to me. You're the one I chose. Right?" I tried to stretch my lips into a smile, but truthfully, I was still annoyed.

"You don't get this," Taehyung mumbled. "I hate it when someone looks at you in an inappropriate way. These sick perverts, they want to taint you with their dirty hands and it makes the blood in my veins boil. I'm just feeling extremely protective of you, is that so bad?"

"It's not," I shook my head. "But when you're threatening people like that it becomes a problem. The poor guy was about to shit his pants."

"He should have. Serves him right."

I let out an exasperated sigh. "Why are we even spending so much time talking about this?"

"You brought it up." he shrugged innocently.

"So it's my fault now?"

"No, I'm just saying that it's you who keeps on discussing it."

There was a pause of thick silence as I stared at him, clenching my jaw. It was him who had messed up and somehow, he managed to put the blame on me for wanting to talk it out?

Am I overreacting?

"I don't want this to happen again," I mumbled, chewing on my lower lip nervously. "It makes me feel weird and I just don't like it."

He reached to take my hand in his, his thumb stroking the skin on the back of my hand. "I'll try my best to not let it bother you again."

I glanced up at him. What was that supposed to mean? He just said he wasn't going to let it bother me, not that he would stop doing it.

Before I could protest, Taehyung stood up, gesturing for me to follow him. "Let's eat," he said softly, a tender smile adorning his lips. "There's some leftover food in the fridge that needs devouring." He chuckled.

I let out a heavy sigh. "Yeah, okay."

As Taehyung started preparing our meals, I slumped over the kitchen island, head hanging low. My thoughts swirled together in a violent whirlwind. Frankly, I really wanted the subject dropped but it just wouldn't leave my mind. Something was seriously bugging me, but I had already addressed the issue and we had stopped talking about it. Was it a good idea to bring it up again?

"I've been thinking," Taehyung's deep silky voice snapped me out of my hurricane of thoughts.

"Really? About what?" I gave an awkward smile, pretending I was okay. Maybe if we talked about something else, I would feel better.