Chapter Thirty-Six

{addressing your feelings}

Faces illuminated by the burning glow of the fire, the squad watched from the cracked window as the flames roared to life in the building across from them. Namjoon had reassured everyone that the flames wouldn't spread, noticing beforehand that the walls of the buildings were damp with water that had previously flooded through the broken windows. The fire would simply simmer down to nothing but a smoulder.

After the squad had regained their composure, they were quick to head downstairs, immediately noticing that this building wasn't nearly as damaged as the one that leant dangerously against it. Leading the group to the lowest level, Hoseok stood in front of the entrance, eyes cast out the windows as he peered out into the uncertainty of the night. Shaking his head, the orange haired male turned back to face the rest of the squad, "We've been through way too much today. I don't think we should travel any further tonight."

"I agree." Jimin spoke up, brushing his fingers painfully along the light bruises that littered his skin, "I kinda just wanna sleep, you know?" he spoke truthfully, gesturing towards the staircase. "We've thoroughly checked every level and there's no sign of infected anywhere." 

Jimin was right. This building was very much untouched, suggesting that the residents that lived in this building were quick to leave on day zero, leaving no signs of infected in the closed off building. Grazing a hand through his hair, Hoseok turned back towards the window. Slight speckles of water were beginning to land over the glass, the soft pitter patter of rain beginning to fill the abandoned streets of the city. 

Face illuminated by the moonlight, Hoseok turned back towards the squad, "We'll all settle on the same floor, a few stories up for safe keeping." he explained, "To be extra careful, lets shut off the stairways that lead to the floor we choose to stay on. Everyone cool with that?" he asked, waiting for the squads decision. 

"Sounds fine by me." Taehyung piped up, cold hands shoved into the side pockets of his lab coat as an attempt to keep himself warm. Jungkook cocked his head a little when he realised Taehyung had kept his lab coat this entire time, even now that it was slightly torn from the car accident a few days ago. 

"Then it's decided." Daisy spoke, clapping her hands together and accidentally stirring the dust in the air, "Let's head back up!" 

------------

It didn't take long for the group to find a suitable level for them to take shelter in. Blocking off the staircases and checking the apartment again for good measure, the squad found themselves divided amongst the four bedrooms in the house. Daisy and Hoseok were given the luxury of a king sized bed, immediately diving into its comfort and cuddling up to one another for warmth. Hoseok's hand moved its way around Daisies middle, warm and soft as he pulled the smaller girl into his chest, dozing off within seconds of pulling the girl into his open arms. Namjoon and Tessa also took a kingsized bed, awkwardly separating themselves on either side. 

Yoongi and Jimin were fine with sharing a queen sized bed together, not caring about any kind of awkwardness as they immediately collapsed against the mattress, exhausted forms falling asleep with no issues at all. Jin decided to take the lounge, allowing everyone to get their well earnt rest. He was new to the squad and felt it would be rude of him to start pushing ahead of others. 

In contrast to the rest of the squad, Taehyung and Jungkook were left sharing a room, finding it difficult to fall asleep with the lack of bedding that remained on the bed. Noting but a simple woollen blanket was tossed over the two males, backs facing one another as they began to shiver. Jungkook felt the cold beginning to bite at his skin, lips turning blue as he curled his grazed knees to his chest, wrapping his arms around himself for warmth. He hadn't slept in a long time, and could feel himself growing more annoyed with each minute he stayed awake.