Chapter twenty two

⚠️ *assault warning* ⚠️

Stella lifted the window open. She saw Gracelyn lying on the floor in a ball. A bottle of pills clenched in her fist.
She ran over. "How many did you take? Gracelyn answer me!"
Gracelyn has tears streaming down her face. "None. I didn't take any." She said softly. Stella took the bottle and threw it across the room.
She pulled Gracelyn into her lap. "I've got you. It's okay." she said softly. She rocked back and forth and rubbed her back. "I'm here."
Gracelyn shook her head. "I should have died."
"No. You shouldn't. You're here for a reason." Stella said. "When will you realize? You need to be here Gracie."
Gracelyn sat beside Stella and let out a breath. "I'm sorry. I should be able to handle this."
Stella held her hand. "It's alright. I wanted to come. I want to have you in my future." she said softly. "I love you. Like it or not."
Gracelyn shook her head. "I'm glad someone does. Because I don't."
"And one day you will." She said softly. "I know one day you'll love yourself as much as I love you." Stella said. "And I'll be here every step of the way."

     Gracelyn laid her head in Stella's lap and closed her eyes. "I miss her so much."
     "I know. I know you do." Stella said. She ran her fingers through Gracelyn's hair gently. "It's okay to miss her. But you have to stay here."
    Gracelyn shook her head. "No I don't. But I will." She said and looked at the ceiling. "You can go home if you want."
    Stella shook her head. "I'm going to stay right here." She said softly.
   Gracelyn closed her eyes. "Alright. I don't know why you want to stay with me but thank you." She said and sat up.
    Stella held her hand. "I love you. That's why I want to stay. Love? I'm buying an apartment and if you want you can come over anytime. You can even move in when you're ready." Stella said.
Stella ran her fingers through Gracelyn's hair. Gracelyn sighed and nodded. "One day. I'm just not ready."
"I'll be waiting." Stella said softly. "I'll always wait for you."

Gracelyn looked at the new girl. She was older then her. And thin. She was very pretty. Her hair was chocolate brown. His favourite colour.
A girl who was around her age sat in the corner of the room. She was a quiet one.
Now Gracelyn was fourteen and knew her way around but these girls didn't. It was her job to keep them safe.
The basement door flew open.
Daddy walked in. "Daddy wants to have fun tonight." He said and eureka the new girl.
She swallowed and looked down.
Daddy glanced at Gracelyn. "Come with us. I'll teach her how it's done by using you for an example." He said in a nasty tone.
      The girl moved away from him. He grabbed her the hair. Gracelyn stood up. "Let me take her place! This once."
     He smirked. "You surprise me everyday. Come on daddy's little princess." He said and grabbed her wrist. He dragged her upstairs and threw her into the chair. "Strip!" He commanded.
      Gracelyn did as she was told. He  grabbed her and closed her eyes.

     Gracelyn shot up from the bed. Stella wasn't in the room. Gracelyn was drenched in sweat and her heart was pounding from the dream. She curled up on the bed and shivered. She stood up and quickly changed into new clothes. She looked at the clock. 03:24. She sighed and looked at her phone. Stella has texted her and said she had to go home but she was there if she needed her.
      Gracelyn walked downstairs. Her mother was in the kitchen. She wasn't ready for work. "No work today?" Gracelyn asked.
      Her mother looked up from the newspaper. She said nothing and looked back at her newspaper.
Gracelyn hesitate and walked back out of the room. She walked back up to her room and pulled the window open. She climbed out and walked down the sidewalk. It was still dark but the street was lit by streetlights. She walked slowly to the one place she knew she shouldn't go. She saw the house and shivered.
"You Come here too?" A girls voice asked.
Gracelyn frowned and squinted in the dark. "I know you."
The girl smiled slightly. "I was the first to escape. Remember? I sneaked out after you tricked him into leaving with you. I tried to come back but I just couldn't seem to talk." She said.
Gracelyn realized who she was. "It's alright. We all got out. How are you? Do you feel better now?"
The girl nodded. "I have a family. My husband is the owner of a restaurant and I have a three year old daughter." She said softly.
"That's good." Gracelyn said. She glanced at the house and frowned. "There's a light on." She said and took a step forward.
The girl grabbed her shoulder. "What are you doing? Don't go in there! What if-"
"They're all in prison. If you don't want to come with me then don't but I'm going in." Gracelyn said.
The girl sighed. "I can't let you go alone." She said and followed Gracelyn. They walked inside slowly.
Gracelyn saw lily. She sat on a chair. "Lily? What are you doing here?"