Silent Night

For once in this town, it was peaceful and almost silent. No bombs dropping. No gunfire. It was a silent night.

I lay my little sister down in bed and tuck her in.

I leaned over and kissed her forehead. "Goodnight little duck." She nuzzles into her covers. I smile and walk out. I walk to the kitchen and grab a Mike's.

Dad loved Mike's. We had one every night before we went to bed. We would just sit and talk.

It's almost been a year. I miss his loud voice echoing through the house. I can almost hear him knocking off his boots before he came into the house.

I sit on the couch and open the top. I grab the remote and turn on the news.

Good evening folks. We are getting reports that the military is now going around in Greenville looking for volunteering participants for the war.

"Voluntary participants my ass." I take a swig. I then flip the channel and take another swig.

Bang. Bang. Bang.

I jump putting my legs up on the couch. I stay silent.

"It's Sargent Dave! Open up!"

"Shit." I duck my head and run to my sister's room leaving my drink behind. I opened her door. I shook her. "Lucy. Lucy!" She looks up at me confused. "Wake up little duck."

"Flame? What's going on?" Another bang at the door. I look at the sound, and she jumps.

"Open up the door or I will do it for you!"

I look back at her. "Remember the plan we talked about?" She nods. "They are here." I move her rug and open the door on the floor. A soundproof room with everything she will need until I can find my way back home. "Get in, little duck."

"Last chance!"

"Hurry Luc." She runs down the steps. I quickly threw down her pillow, blanket, and stuffed animal.

"Flame?"

I stop. "Ya?"

She swallows hard. "Come back for me. Okay?"

I smile and nod. "I love you little duck." I closed the hatch and put her rug back over it.

"One!" I run.

"Two!" I put my hand on the doorknob and took a deep breath.

"Thr..." I open the door.

"Is there a problem Sargent?" He looks at me. He opens his mouth to speak, then second-guesses himself.

He clears his throat and reads a piece of paper. "I am told that the residents of this house consist of Pete, Sheryl, and Flame Onyx. Is that correct?" Little duck.

My mother did what she said she could. She made sure to protect Lucy.

"Yes. That's correct."

He frowns. "So where are your parent's girl?" I chew on my cheek.

I cross my arms and look him dead in the eyes. "Serving or maybe they are dead. I don't know, I haven't heard from them since you fuckers showed up at our door in the middle of the night and took them. So you tell me Sarg. Where are they?" I stand toe to toe with him.

He nods short. "Well, then you know why we are here then. Change out of those shorts and that tee shirt and pack your bags. We leave in 30."

I nod my head and swallow my anger. "Please come in. You guys want anything to drink, help yourselves to the fridge." They nod at me and sit down on my couch. I walk swiftly to my room and shut the door. I take a deep breath and let it go. I put my back to the door and take another deep breath. I tuck my hair behind my ears and start to change and pack.