Chapter 28

Word count: 3945

THIRD PERSON'S POV

Deidre paced around the hospital room, anticipation racing inside, taking control of her emotions. The girl yanked at the roots of her hair, while stealing glances at the bed Thomas was lying in. Her heart broke a little when he did not make a move, only steady breathing coming from him.

Robert placed his hand on her shoulder in a comforting way. "Deidre, you have got to calm down."

"How? How can I possibly do that when he is lying there like this?"

"Come on. You have not eaten since yesterday. You need to get something inside your stomach, otherwise you are going to collapse soon enough."

"I'm not hungry," her voice broke at the end. "I can't leave this room. What if something happens when I leave?"

"Nothing is going to happen. He is safe here. The doctor said he is stable."

Deidre shook her head. "No. I don't believe it. I will believe it when I see it, any sign of consciousness. Not a second before."

"Deidre, you need to eat," Robert pressed. "I doubt Thomas will be delighted if he finds out you've been pretty much starving yourself. I can keep an eye on him while you get something to eat."

"I can't leave the room. He got hurt on my watch. I am not letting it happen again."

"It was not your fault. You could not have prevented it."

"Maybe if I had ran faster—"

Robert gripped onto her shoulder, not liking the sound of her words. "Stop blaming yourself. It was his own decision. Don't put yourself down for his actions, choices. You couldn't have done anything. And if you had gotten there quicker then maybe you would have gotten hit by that car also. The outcome could have been far worse."

"Still," she breathed, "I don't want to leave his side. I cannot risk him getting hurt again."

Robert smiled softly. "I'll have Jonathan and Erin bring you something once they get here. Is that okay? Then you don't have to leave his side."

"Thank you." Then she turned to face him, keeping a stern hold on Thomas's hand. "How are you holding up even?"

"I must admit I have been better. I feel worried more precisely. I just... I don't understand what has been going on with him." Robert exhaled. "I am beginning to regret kicking him out of the group, that I stopped being friends with him. Perhaps, then he would not have done such a stupid thing."

"You should not blame yourself also. If I cannot do it then you should not also. It's unfair."

"I know. It's just-just that he's my best friend. Thomas and I have been close ever since we were little and I don't fućking understand how I have missed it all."

"Has he always been like this? So complicated?"

Robert sighed heavily. "You could say that. I have said it before that Thomas is one difficult person. He has been ever since we were children and I have never known why he is this way. I damn wish I knew, but he doesn't let anyone in. He has never done it to anyone. Well, except you."

"He isn't telling me much also," I whispered, rubbing circles on his palm. "What do you think it has to do with?"

"I have an idea, but I don't want to point fingers right now. I will wait until the right time and when he has woken up."

Deidre nodded, placing her arms on Thomas's chest, crossing them, resting her chin in-between. "I hope he will be okay. And if he will then I am going to do everything in my power to make him happy again."