Of Blood and Bone

"We have to leave this place soon", I told Nixon as I looked into the night sky. It was chilly in the forest at night so I wrapped my arms tightly around my body to stay warm. It didn't help get rid of this feeling of dread that had started forming in the pit of my stomach. It was foolish to believe that I could remain here for the rest of the night. I wanted to rest but I felt my scar begin to burn again signaling my time here was limited.

"I know we have to leave soon but just stay for a little bit longer", Nixon said as he stared into my eyes with his pleading gaze. I nodded my head in agreement realizing I might as well enjoy this special moment a little bit longer. I might not get the chance to see this beautiful field of flowers ever again. I felt my head aching as I tried to rest my head on his shoulder peacefully. I didn't want to turn away the support he was offering me.

"Rowen, I wish we could stay here forever", Valerie said as she raced over to us happily. She had placed a lily in her hair that made the color in her eyes pop out. "You have to run through the fields at least once", she said as she grabbed Nixon's hand to pull him out to the fields with her.

"Alright, but only for a moment. Rowen what about you?", Nixon asked as he held his hand towards me. I shook my head no in response to his inquisitive gaze because I was in so much pain. The burning in my scar was getting worse each moment we spent out in the flowery clearing. I took a seat on the ground to help dull the sharp ache on my face and stomach to no avail.

"Rowen, is this seat taken", Ian said nervously. Ian didn't wait for my response but sat down next to me anyway. He watched Nixon and Valerie chasing each other around in the field of flowers with a sad expression on his face. "I wanted to say I was sorry about before. I know I yelled at you but I felt like you were making it up. I didn't want to think that Sklar could keep a secret from me", Ian said as he picked at the grass on the ground awkwardly.

"It's fine", I said between gritted teeth. I put a smile on my face as I tried to mask the pain I was feeling within myself. "Skylar was your best friend. I'm just an outsider. Skylar simply showed me kindness when I was weak", I told him solemnly.

"No Rowen. You're so much more than that now. It's just that I loved Skylar all those years ago. If she were alive I know we would be bonded. We were meant to be", he said in a raspy voice. I looked over to see Ian's eyes filled with tears of grief. He had lost someone so important to him at such a young age. "Sometimes I swear she's still out there, I can smell her scent, but I know it's the thoughts of a madman", Ian said as he looked out at the moon.

"No", I said a little too loudly. It was getting harder to breath out here with pain gripping my entire being. Ian looked over at me with a confused expression towards my grimace. "No. You aren't crazy. I feel her in the fields", I said in a much calmer tone. I had almost reached my pain threshold as I clenched my fingers into my palms too tightly.

"Rowen. You're bleeding", Ian said in a horrified tones. I opened my fist to reveal a trail of blood that my fingers had caused to come out of my palm. The pain on my palms was the only thing keeping me from screaming out in agony. "Valerie, Nixon, somethings wrong with Rowen", Ian yelled loudly across the field. Their heads whipped around to face Ian as the air around us started to change. I fought the darkness within myself unwilling to give up to the demons inside of me.

"We have to leave,'' I said as I gripped Ian's hand tightly for support. Ian looked at me with a worried expression on his face as the blood started trickling down my nose again. It seemed like these episodes were getting closer together the further I went on my journey. Nixon and Valerie made it over with record timing to where we sat. "I have to go. Something is coming for me", i said as I felt a fire spread through my veins.

"I will carry you,'' Nixon said as he swept me in his arms. I felt the pain drain slightly but not enough to make the pain disappear. "I would do anything to take away your pain", Nixon said as he caressed his hand against my cheek affectionately. I knew there was nothing Nixon could do to take away my pain but I was thankful for his friendship.

After about a few minutes of Nixon's steady walking I felt comfortable enough to do it on my own. I looked back at the clearing one last time feeling the onslaught of emotions hit me nostalgically.

I kept a steady pace on the Pine Hills Trail as it twisted and turned each and every way. As we wove deeper into the forest the scent of candles caught my attention. It was a strong scent that I recognized from that day in the forest. I sat down on a rock to catch my breath as a memory shook me to my very core.

I remembered my mom leading me to the clearing to play in the fields of flowers that day. She had put a magic spell on the moon necklace to keep me safe. She had shed blood red tears to create a spell on the necklace that would protect others from harm. I remembered my mom telling me to not touch the necklace because it would taint the magic. Even if it was only a day her happy face was engraved into my heart forever.

When we had returned back to the forest, we were surrounded by the wilderness. I had looked to see my mom was sad again as she told me to 'run and don't turn back'. I had run as fast as my feet could take me but I had tripped onto the ground. I remembered being surrounded by a pile of leaves that crunched as I moved around.

'Playtime is over", a voice had said from above me. I had turned around to get a look at the person to see someone familiar. It was Samuel who stood there, with a very battered looking Skylar by his side, grinning sadistically. Skylar wouldn't meet my gaze but looked down lifelessly as Samuel glided his finger down her cheek.

"I'm sorry. I had no choice", she said as she faced me with tears in her eyes. I felt betrayal rip through my young heart by her words. I remembered Samuel leading me through the woods to a ceremonial altar. It was a makeshift stone altar that the candles burned on. I remembered that it smelled like the candles from my birthday cake. "It's time for the sacrifice to be made", Samuel said as he gestured to the group of people that emerged from the woods. I went to see who was there but they evaporated into thin air. 'Not yet' a voice inside me whispered as the pain in my head intensified. 'You will know the truth soon', the voice told me sadly.

"Rowen, you have to stop leaving us like that", Nixon said as he looked into my eyes worriedly. I needed to follow the scent of the candles to reach my next clue. I leaped off the rock unsteadily as all eyes watched my shaky movements. "Wait", Nixon yelled out but I was already running off.

I rushed forward on instinct to that haunted place as if hypnotized. I recognized the smell of candles but there was another horrifying scent. It was the scent of something that had been rotting for hours. I emerged into the ceremonial altar feeling the dark presence swirling in the air. I looked down at the altar nearly choking on my own bile at the image before me.

Nixon finally caught up with me as I stood frozen to the spot looking at the altar floor. Nixon tried dragging me backwards into his arms for comfort but it was too late. I had already seen the dead body laying on the altar. The throat was slit open so that the blood poured out dramatically. I recognized the person's eyes; it was Samuel. His glassy eyes, in the haze of death, appeared to be looking into my soul. If Samuel hadn't killed my parents I had no clue who did. Whatever Samuel had been looking for in my paint room, he wouldn't find now, so that gave me some comfort. I clutched the moon necklace around my neck tightly. I would get my answers soon enough.