Prologue

The memories of my childhood were a carousel in slow motion; my birthday cake an array of candles that wouldn't go out, and my mother a featureless woman, smiling as she snapped photographs of me in my awful pigtails. My father, a tall burlesque man, blew out the candles, until the room was dark. I wished the light hadn't blown out because, Maybe then I could have been a happy little girl, and my life could have gone according to plan

Every moment in life had purpose, that was for sure, and I think my purpose began in the darkness of those blown out candles. It was in chaos and destruction, that a tender and sorrowful tune echoed in my ears. Twas the kind that sailors whistle while starboard, to bring merriment and joy into their mundane lives, and yet there was melancholy in the chords. Even as I opened my eyes, I swore I could hear the billowy tune, but the scorching white hot pain burned through me and my body was doused in the fire of Hades.

I opened my eyes and watched as people, rustling about a nondescript room, attached medical apparatus without qualm as the heat licked my skin. There was no focal point that caught my attention and I stared at the clear liquid that was dripping into my cold veins. In the heat, visions swarmed my aching head of our cottage in the woods, where my mother dried out laundry on the clothesline and my father chopped wood in the evening to keep the hearth warm while a small dog yipped at his heels.

In the fog, my visions faded and I slipped back into the abyss for what felt like a very long time.

While lying in the hospital bed I heard the echoing of muffled voices that muttered their pitiful words in my ears. Whoever was whispering told me, "it was alright," and "try to rest,".

I tried to grasp a peaceful slumber, but a burning sensation spread within me, causing me to scream out in agony, and without uttering a single sound.

A group of people rushed into the room with needles, while I thrashed around violently until they sedated me. I didn't feel pain anymore and I allowed myself to relax.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep; was the sound the monitors made as they captured my heart beating. I didn't want to remember what happened to me; I wanted to think of my featureless mother and my burlesque father, but the demons of my mind were on the warpath and they would not stop until lol my attention was veered towards them.

After some time, I opened my eyes, but the burning light of a clear summer day was peeking through. I blinked my eyes rapidly to clear the crust away and when I finally saw the light, I wasn't a little girl anymore.

I tried to speak but my voice was hoarse.

"Water?", I tried to ask.

Suddenly, I was looking into the eyes of my Aunt Tabitha, who was both surprised and horrified to see me awake. She rushed out of the room, nearly stumbling over herself before she returned, with a doctor who looked into my eyes.

An unreadable expression marred the doctors face as he placed a jug of water on the hospital tray and held the same glass of water up to my lips. I reached out and stopped the doctor from touching me.

Instead, I took the cup from his hands and gulped it down greedily. The gangly man with the stethoscope dangling over his neck, that smelled of lemons and parsley, looked at me with intrigue, but I did not pay him any mind.

"More Please?", I asked him. The doctor obeyed my request by grabbing the pitcher and filling it with more water. I continued chugging the water until my throat no longer felt parched.

"You know, Gabby, It's a miracle you've survived.", the doctor told me.

"Why?", I questioned him.