Closer Now

"I didn't know you would be here", I said in a surprised tone. Nixon returned his attention back to the video game.

"Yeah, I'm here. So what", Nixon huffed out in an irritated tone. There were so many things I wanted to say to him but the words caught in my throat. I looked towards Valerie who walked up to Nixon without worry.

"Nixon, I missed you", she said as she threw her arms across him in a brotherly fashion. Nixon grunted in response but didn't take his attention off his game. Valerie ripped the controller clean out of Nixon's hands.

"Cut it out Val", Nixon stated in a threatening tone. He stood up towering over Valerie's small frame. Valerie stood her ground under his intense blue gaze defiantly. "Be grateful that Ian is your brother. Otherwise I'd kick your ass, you little punk", Nixon said in a dark tone. I looked over expecting to see a scowl on his face but found a crooked smile instead.

"I'd like to see you try and kick my ass. All talk no action Eh Nicky boy", Valerie stated teasingly as she hopped onto his back. The playful banter between Nixon and Valerie threw me for a loop.

"Don't mind them. They tend to act like children" Ian chimed. I stared at Ian who stood next to me now. "I'm glad you came. Nixon was worried about you", Ian said. I looked at Ian in disbelief that Nixon would ever worry about me. As far as I knew Nixon hated every single part of me.

"Shut up Ian", Nixon roared loudly  Valerie hopped off of Nixon's back to stare at his angry figure. Nixon walked up too close to me. His eyes turned to ice as he stared into my eyes. "She always causes me trouble wherever she goes", Nixon said broodingly.

"Thank you Nixon. If you hadn't been there", I said with a sheen of tears clouding my eyes. I turned my eyes to the ground to avoid looking at him. I touched my hand to the patch of uneven hair on my head from the incident.

"Whatever, I'm getting a drink", Nixon said in response. "Do any of you losers want one", he asked as he moved towards a mini fridge in the corner.

"Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick", Valerie said as she hopped up and down. "Get me the usual Nicky boy", Valerie told him. Nixon turned to face Ian with his questioning gaze as he waited for his response.

"I've got my water still", Ian said as he held onto his steel water bottle. "What about you Rowen", Ian asked me kindly as he draped an arm over my shoulder. I stiffened under his touch because boys never stood close to me ever. Nixon stared daggers at Ian for a reason I didn't understand.

"I'll just have water", I said to Nixon as I removed Ian's arm from my shoulder. "If you have another one that is", I trailed on awkwardly. Nixon nodded his head acknowledging my response. He disappeared into a separate area of the room to grab the drinks.

"Come sit down", Valerie said as she pulled me to the couch. I realized that Valerie was kind of pushy. She never gave me any room to argue with her. It was her bossiness that led to us staying friends this whole time. I felt bad for being such a crappy friend while she put in all the effort.

"This is all new to me. I've never had friends before", I said to her shyly. Valerie held her finger up to stop me from continuing. She reached into the coffee table beside her to rummage through it. I watched her tear the drawer apart looking for something.

"I have to show you something", Valerie said seriously. "I found it", Valerie said loudly. Valerie waved what looked like a picture around in the air. Ian shook his head as he recognized the photograph.

"Not this story again. No one likes to hear it anymore. She's never coming back", Ian sulked. I looked at him with confusion but he had a dark expression on his face. I didn't quite understand the situation but as Nixon returned he nearly dropped the drinks in his hand.