14.) Sick

The baby woke both Maddi and I up early. Maddi nursed her, almost falling asleep.

"You know, we still don't have a name for her," I yawned.

"Well, we never really agreed on a name," Maddi replied.

"What was yours?" I asked.

"Ashlyn Nicole," Maddi replied.

As Maddi said that, the baby popped her eyes open and looked up at her Mom. Maybe it was a coincidence, or maybe the baby liked the name.

"I think she decided for us," I said, gently rubbing her head.

She was born with a good amount of hair, a sandy kind of color. I knew it would darken to either my black hair or Maddi's dark brown hair.

"Is your name Ashlyn? Are you my Ashlyn?" Maddi cooed, covering herself up and lifting Ashlyn over her shoulder. She gently rubbed and patted her back for her to burp.

"You're already a natural," I said.

"I had experience with babysitting. It's not new." She replied.

A knock came from the outside of our spot. Addy came in and smiled as she saw our family.

"I could get used to this," She said, leaning against the wall on her shoulder.

Maddi smiled and Ashlyn let out a grunt for a burp. Maddi handed her to me so she could get up, but she fell back down instead.

"Whoa, there," I said. "You okay?"

"I got really dizzy," She said, rubbing her eyes. "It's like the room is spinning."

"It's probably your body telling you to rest," I told her. "I'll take care of Ashlyn, you rest up."

"Ah," Addy sang. "We have a name?"

"Yeah, Ashlyn Nicole. Maddi's favorite girl name." I answered, standing up to placed Ashlyn in her makeshift crib.

Ashlyn whined as I set her down. I swaddled her the best I could with what Doc and Maddi showed me, and Ashlyn quickly fell asleep.

"Ashlyn? I like it." Addy commented. She patted my shoulder before walking back out.

Maddi sighed. She closed her eyes and wrapped herself in a blanket.

"You sure you're okay?" I asked, now growing worried.

"Fine, just cold and dizzy." She replied. Her forehead beaded with sweat and she suddenly grew pale. She shivered.

I placed my hand over her forehead. She felt like a furnace.

"You have a fever," I told her. "That set in quick. I'm gonna go get Doc."

"No," Maddi said. "There's no point. He'll just say I'm healing from giving birth."

"I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to get a fever after having a baby," I said.

Maddi rolled her eyes. "Do whatever."

I chuckled and walked out of the barn. I spotted Doc working at our small garden. He was picking out weeds and chucking them out of the garden.

"Hey, Doc?" I said once I reached him.

"Hey, kid," He replied. His face dropped when he saw my concerned eyes. "What's wrong?"

"Something's wrong with Maddi. She collapsed and has a pretty bad fever right now. Can you come look at her?" I asked.

Doc nodded and we walked to the barn together. Maddi was sleeping with a blanket pulled up to her chin.

"Babe," I said, shaking her awake. "Doc's here."