8.) Losing a Friend

My head pounded. I felt my blood turn to cement. I couldn't scream, the only thing I could do was watch as the submarine exploded.

I felt my whole world crash as the smoke clouded into the sky, like a thick blanket trying to suffocate everything in its path.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. Tommy stood there, flesh hanging off his face and his whole body covered in blisters from being burned.

"Wake up." He said.

My eyes shot open. Jon stood over me, his hand on my shoulder.

"Jon?" I asked, groggily.

"You missed your appointment with Tracie again. She said you can come by if you hurry." Jon replied.

I sat up, nausea washing over me. I held in the bile that was trying to creep it's way out of me and stood up.

"Let me just get changed and we can go."

"Oh, I can't go with you." Jon said. He stuck his hands in his pockets. "I'm going on a run today. Won't be back until later."

"Oh," I said. My heart sank a little.

"But I can walk you over there. I know how easy it is to get lost." Jon piped up.

I nodded and Jon left to let me get dressed. I decided on a baggy tan shirt and Tommy's camo jacket, which Jon took to get sewed up, and some maternity capris. The weather was starting to warm up and I found myself getting heat flashes.

Jon was waiting for me on my couch. He jumped up and opened the door for me and we headed to Tracie's office.

"Everything looks good," Tracie told me after my ultrasound was done. "Any questions?"

Of course I had questions. The whole time I found out I was pregnant, a billion questions ran through my mind. Now was my chance to ask, and I wasn't going to hold back.

"Do you know the gender?" I asked.

Tracie gave me a smile but shook her head. "I won't be able to tell until you're at least 20 weeks. Most of the time, doctors can find out by 16 weeks, but I'm not good with the whole pregnancy appointments. Sorry."

"When will I feel the baby move?" I asked.

"Most first time moms won't feel it move until 22 weeks. Some women can feel it move by the earliest of 14 weeks. It's hard to say. But your baby is moving constantly, but it's still too tiny to feel it." Tracie explained, shutting off the ultrasound machine.

"Why hasn't all the trauma I've been though affected the baby in any way?" I asked.

"I honestly can't tell you. Maybe this baby is a survivor like it's Mom." Tracie said, smiling.

I nodded and placed a hand on my belly. "That's all."

"Okay. I'll see you in another week or two. Keep that baby safe." Tracie said, leading me outside.

Jon wasn't waiting for me when I got out, so I just walked around, looking at the small shops that were around and just enjoying being safe. A few people gave me looks, knowing that I was part of the reason why Megan was banished, but I ignored them.

I ended up going back home and relaxing, munching on snacks and just resting.

I must've fell asleep, as I woke up and it was dark outside. A blanket was wrapped around me and I knew that I didn't fall asleep with it on me. Jon must have stopped by and covered me up.