10.) Together Again

After a days walk and a sleepless night, I reached the beach where Tommy and I parted.

It was dawn. The breeze was cool and the waves crashed softly against the sand. The sun created a beautiful color in the sky; pink and orange.

I allowed myself to lose myself into the breeze. I allowed it to carry away everything I was feeling.

I bent down and let the water remove the blood that stained my hands. Jon's blood...

I stood up before I lost myself and stepped into the old shack that 10K was shot in. It looked completely destroyed and picked though. It smelled like mold and old food.

I set my backpack down and walked behind the bar counter, looking at all the drinks. I knew I couldn't have any due to my pregnancy.

I glanced over at the spot that 10K was laying while he was bleeding. The blood was still there, dried and black like tar.

I ran my hand over the blood stain and remembered 10K's whines of pain and how much blood he was losing. I felt a tear run down my cheek.

I took my ring out from under my shirt and fingered it. I kissed it and stuck it back under my shirt.

I heard a bang at the front door. I looked at was startled by a zombie making his way inside.

I crouched behind the counter and got my machete out, waiting for him to come over my way.

I pounced and sliced his head off. He dropped to the floor and blood spurted out from his neck.

I decided it was time to leave. I grabbed my backpack and a few spare food packs that looked relatively fresh and headed out, my heart still bleeding sadness.

I found a small garage to sleep in. I sobbed all night, crying out for Tommy and crying out for Jon, missing his presence.

I ended up falling sleep somehow. I woke up with intense morning sickness, puking up anything my body could muster.

The day went like the rest. Walking, resting, fighting zombies, walking. My feet hurt by the end of the day, getting more and more swollen from aching and pregnancy.

My food was running short. My ammo was almost gone. My machete was getting dull. I was getting exhausted.

I had to find Tommy. Fast.

I knew I was close. I had to be. I was past the place where I lost him. He had to be somewhere. If I knew Tommy, he wouldn't go far without me with him. Unless-

"No!" I said to myself. "Stop it. He's fine. You'll find him."

I came across a huge wooded area. It looked eerie and full of trees that you could get lost in.

I looked back behind me, looking to see if there was another way I could go.

There was, but it was surrounded by zombies.

I chose the safer route and went through the woods.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Well, minus the part about me getting lost once night set.

I had myself so turned around, I almost didn't know which direction was which. I ended up making my own camp site by making a large stick fort. I made a very small fire and ate the last of my food.

I saw my ring glisten in the fire light. I held it, silently crying. I missed Tommy so much. It was almost hilarious.

While crying, I almost didn't hear the sound of voices and multiple footsteps crunching in the leaves and twigs coming from behind me. I quickly stomped out the fire and got my gun ready, standing up and slowly creeping the opposite way from the voices.