13.) Birth

"I-I'll get Doc! Just hold on!" Murphy said, running off to get Doc.

I stood there, holding my belly and watching the water pool around me. The baby was coming? Already?!

"Maddi!" Doc yelled, running over to me. "Murphy said your water broke?!"

Doc wrapped his arms around me and helped me walk towards the barn. My legs felt like jelly. I was panting and felt tears sting my eyes.

"I-I don't know! I-it's too early isn't it? I mean, I'm about 37 weeks and baby's aren't supposed to come until you're at least 40 weeks and that's like, three weeks early." I babbled.

"Baby's come early all the time. Let's get you situated first." Doc explained.

He helped me lay down on a makeshift mattress. Addy and I had made this a while ago, knowing I needed somewhere private to give birth. We hung up a blanket over the entrance and used that as a door. It was the best we could do with what we had.

"Doc," I said. "Doc, I need 10K."

"Addy's already on it," Doc told me. "She has a copy of the map he made for hunting. She'll find him."

"But what if they don't get here in time? Doc, 10K can't miss the birth of his child!" I yelled. Sweat was already beading on my forehead.

"I don't know what else to tell you, kid." Doc concluded. "I'm gonna go get my equipment. Until then, keep that baby in you and start counting your contractions."

I nodded, not wanted to argue anymore. I rested my head against a bale of hay and breathed in and out, focusing on my lungs expanding and deflating.

This baby was coming whether I was ready or not.

A few hours passed. My contractions were getting stronger and closer together. I changed into a robe, leaving nothing underneath so it was easy to access for when Doc needed to check me and so I felt more comfortable.

I was standing up, slowly rocking back and forth as contraction after contraction washed over me. It felt like intense period cramps times 20.

"How ya doin'?" I heard Doc asked as he came back in to check me.

"I feel like I'm having being ripped apart," I groaned, laying down.

Doc helped me lay down and felt my cervix. "5 centimeters. You still have a while to go."

I groaned and pulled a blanket over me. Doc gently wiped my forehead with a wet cloth. Warren knocked on the wall and moved the cloth door over to let herself in. She gave me a small smile.

"How're you feeling?" She asked me, sitting next to me.

I groaned and reached for her hand. I squeezed it as a contraction washed over me.

I groaned and felt a bead of sweat roll down my temple. My body ached.

Warren kissed my forehead and left. Doc finished up what he was doing and left for a moment, telling me he had to get more water.

I didn't want to be left alone, but I didn't want Doc to be here with me. I wanted Tommy, but he wasn't here. I just needed someone.

As if on cue, Murphy popped his head in through the curtain. He met my eyes.

"Sorry," He said. "I thought Doc was in here."

"He'll be back," I answered, sitting up. Murphy went to leave, but I grabbed his arm. "Please stay."