5.) Impossible Task

I felt myself freeze. I felt my blood turn heavy, like cement was poured into my veins. My legs got weak, but I refused to fall.

"I-I'm what?" I asked, not knowing if I heard Tracie correctly or not.

"You're pregnant, Maddi." Tracie said. "Your blood proved it."

I stood there, my mouth dry and my mind swirling. How? 10K and I used protection and we only had sex at least three times in our relationship...

"...to make sure it's real."

I snapped back to reality. Tracie was walking out my door, waving her hand for me to follow.

Following her to her office was a blur. I felt like I was floating the whole way there. I barely comprehended anything Tracie was telling me.

We reached her office and she led me to a room near the back of the place. A computer like machine and a bed sat in the middle. I immediately knew what it was.

An ultrasound machine.

I remember when I was younger I had to get an ultrasound done because the doctors thought I had an Ovarian Cyst. I knew what an ultrasound machine looked like, and this was definitely one.

"An ultrasound?" I asked, my voice barely coming out.

Tracie nodded. "We'll be able to see the baby and I can measure it to see how far along you are."

Tracie patted the bed next to her and I laid down, feeling very uncomfortable. Tracie lifted my shirt up and applied some warm gel to my lower stomach. She moved so fast I barely had time to get comfortable, as if that was an option.

She applied the remote like thingy on my belly and moved it around. I had my eyes closed, knowing that a baby would appear on the screen at any time.

"Uh huh," Tracie said, smiling. She turned the screen towards me. "Right there is your baby." She pointed to the screen and I felt a warmth go through my body.

 I covered my mouth with my hand

I covered my mouth with my hand. All I could see was a small little blob, but I knew that it was a fetus growing inside of me.

It all seemed to hit me right then and there. I started sobbing, and I grabbed Tracie's hand, who let me hold it.

"Would you like to hear the heartbeat?" She asked.

I nodded, unable to form words.

Tracie pushed a button and the sound of my baby's heartbeat filled the air. It was like a train, fast but comforting.

"Is it supposed to be that fast?" I asked.

Tracie nodded and smiled. "It'll slow down as it gets bigger."

Tracie clicked on some stuff and numbers appeared on the screen. She clicked some more and then smiled.

"You're about 8 weeks pregnant. That baby is no bigger than the size of a kidney bean." She said.