~46~

As crazy as it sounds, it's not my rumbling stomach begging for food or even looking forward to the weekend that gets me out of bed every morning, it's my job. Ever since I was little, I knew that I wanted to become a veterinarian and be constantly surrounded by animals that I could help.

Attending college in Wisconsin was just a step to finally achieving my dreams, but I'm getting ahead of myself. Even though I am constantly thinking about the moment I will become a licensed veterinarian, there's still a lot of work to do before I can make that dream a reality.

As I mentioned earlier, I am a college student in Milwaukee. Whenever I'm not taking classes or studying, my time is spent working or volunteering in a local animal shelter. Even though the shelter is small, it has charm.

I always figure out a way to form an unbreakable bond with every single dog that our organization rescues. If I could, I would adopt them all.

"Hey (Y/N), could you go feed Puck?" My tall blonde co-worker Allison asks while she is trying to keep her balance on a ladder stocking bags of dog food.

"Yeah," I respond in a questioning voice, wondering if she needs my help with the ladder. As if she reads my mind, she waves her free arm in the air indicating that she doesn't need help.

I turn on my heels and walk around the front counter to go feed the small chocolate lab that we named Puck due to his obsession with chewing on hockey pucks.

I pull open the door to the spacious kennel and allow the joyous pup to roam around the store while taking a scoop of dog food and pouring it into Puck's bowl. Puck nearly knocks me over as soon as he hears the sound of his favorite kibble against the metal bowl.

As the dog chews on his food, I grab his water bowl lift myself off of the ground. Walking over to the sink, I pour out the old and dirty water and place the empty bowl under the water faucet.

I look back over my shoulder and see that Puck is looking at me hopefully with a hint of a sparkle in his eyes. We have had the lab under our care for nearly a year now. For some reason, he is always overlooked by the nice people who come to adopt. I simply don't understand how people don't see how lovable and sweet this dog is. Sure, I love seeing him at work every day, but he needs to find his forever home with a family who loves him.

I turn off the water faucet when I notice that the bowl is full and carefully walk over to Puck's kennel. I place the bowl where it had been before and sit on the floor to rub Puck's belly. Little did I know that Puck was untying the shoelaces on my white converse with his teeth.

Within a few seconds, the bell that is attached to the front door rings and a brunette enters the store. Without missing a beat, Puck grabs the hockey puck that he had been chewing on in his mouth and runs to greet the stranger.

"Puck!" I yell to get the dog's attention so he doesn't scare the customer away.

The stranger simply laughs and bends down to pet the lab. "Hi, buddy." He says while stroking the dogs back. I look over to see of Allison is still stocking the shelves but she is nowhere to be seen.

"Sorry about that, he loves meeting new people." I apologize, lifting myself off the ground and walk over to meet the brunette at the front of the store. However, I accidentally trip over my own shoelaces that Puck had previously untied and brace myself to land on the cold tile floor but the impact never comes.

I slowly open my eyes and realize that I'm in the arms of the handsome stranger. I can feel my cheeks turning a vibrant shade of red from the embarrassment.

"I am so sorry." I apologize profusely, lifting myself out of his strong arms.

"It's really no problem, are you okay?" He affirms and asks while smiling from ear to ear.

"I think so. I guess Puck untied my shoelaces earlier." I respond and he chuckles.

"Is this little guy up for adoption?" He asks, once again bending down to pet the chocolate lab.

I respond with a grin on my face, happy at the thought of Puck finally finding a home. "Yes he is."

"I'll take him. I'm Christian by the way." Christian says, reaching into his back pocket to pull out a wallet.

"Perfect. I'm (Y/N)." You explained, leading Christian to the front counter with the cash register.

After Yelich has officially adopted Puck and you have explained how to properly care for him, you hand the chocolate lab's leash to Christian and say your goodbyes to the pup.

"Goodbye Puck, I'm going to miss you, but Christian is going to take great care of you." You reassured, trying not to tear up.

"You wouldn't have to say goodbye if I took you out on a date this Saturday night," Christian inquired confidently, taking you by complete surprise.

After a few seconds of pondering, you realize that your schedule is free and that you would genuinely enjoy getting to know Christian.

"I'd love to." You respond, smiling.

He flashed you the biggest grin that you've ever seen in your life and responds. "Great, I'll pick you up here around seven."

"It's a date." You say before Christian turns to leave the store, still holding onto Puck's leash.

"Puck, you're an awesome wingman." You hear Christian say as soon as he shuts the door, making you once again blush.