~ 17 ~

Hey guys!

Sorry this is such a short chapter, writer's block is hitting me hard. Anyways, please enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------

Surprising your boyfriend was not supposed to end in such a disaster. Last night, the Brewers had a tough loss against the Royals and even though he would never admit it, Christian was heartbroken. So you tried to get up early this morning to surprise him with pancakes to lift his spirits.

Cooking, however, was no friend of yours. Normally either Christian would make dinner for you two, or you would come home with take-out.

It was no walk in the park dating an MLB player. Sure, you loved Christian, but it seemed like the time you two spent together was limited. He was usually at practice or games and you worked a full-time job as a teacher at a nearby elementary school.

In the meantime, your once grey countertops in your kitchen are splattered with the milky-white color of pancake mix and you were running in twenty different directions while trying to multitask. You nearly tripped over the trash can multiple times while trying to balance a scolding frying pan in one hand and glass plate in the other. You are a mess, to say the least.

You set down the plate and slide the pancake onto it when you realize how burnt the outside edges are. There's no way I'm going to make Christian eat this. It'd be cruel.

Suddenly an ear piercing screeching noise coming from the smoke detector nearly makes you jump out of your skin. "Dang it." You mumble under your breath while running to the stove top to see what was burning.

It was a heart-shaped pancake that you had worked so hard on and is now charcoal black and horribly distorted. You remove the pan from the burner and turn off the stove.

After making sure there was no fire, you grab a broom and start stabbing the end of it towards the ceiling, hoping that it makes the smoke detector stop screeching. As if on cue, your boyfriend runs out of your shared bedroom while still in his plaid pajama pants and Brewers tee-shirt.

He moves one of the barstools underneath the smoke detector located in the center of the kitchen and climbs onto it, grabbing your shoulder for support. Finding and pressing the small white button on the side of the device, he stops the noise and climbs back down from his perch.

"Surprise." You say with worried eyes and an innocent smile. He chuckles at you and runs his fingers through his chocolate brown hair.

"It looks like you've been busy." He infers.

"Yeah, you could say that." You reply, staring at the mess you've created in the kitchen. He follows your glare, inspecting the disaster that had recently happened. It looked as if a bomb filled with pancake mix had exploded in your small apartment.

"How exactly did you get pancake mix on the ceiling?" He asks while pointing to the roof.

"Your guess is as good as mine." He chuckles once again at your response while pulling you into a sloppy kiss.