"It's like four or five in the morning," I said, startled. "Aren't you tired?"

"Of course," he said, nodding, "but, I'm not going to let your dedication go to waste. You took the time to learn shit about me, so it's only fair that I take some time to get to know you. For the rest of the time that we stay up, we'll do shit you enjoy, and we'll continue that tomorrow. I'd also like you to spend some time with my wife before we have to leave."

"Agatha?" I asked, and he gave me a look. "I don't think she'd like that very much."

"She won't, not at first," he told me seriously. "After all, she's very religious and has a very strong sense of morality about life as a whole. Your existence challenges everything she's ever known, but I admit... there's still a very good chance that she's willing to let you into our lives. If you are as good and simple and pure-hearted as I'm thinking you might just be... she'll accept you."

"Okay," I murmured, taking off the boxing glove and setting it down on the mat. "Let's go, then."

"Already have something in mind?" he asked, and I gave him a grin.

"Yep!" I chimed. "I wanna show you my life's work!"

His brow rose when I carefully and very shakily crawled through the ropes encircling the ring and juddered myself down to the ground. The skirt swished around my legs once I was standing, but I took the towel he offered me and dabbed my face and neck dry before letting my hair down from the bun I'd tied it into before we'd started practicing.

It had been his idea. He'd even given me the band to do so, claiming that his wife often lost hers so he kept spares for her in his back pocket. It was a thoughtful gesture, one I'd taken note of. He may have been wary and rude and a jerk, but he really did love his family.

"You good?" he asked, and I turned to see him eyeing my hair with a squint.

"Yeah," I confirmed, handing the towel back. "Let's head out."

I made my way over to the keypad and tapped the numbers, waiting with folded arms as it clunked open. Something on the floor caught my eye as it drew back, and I glanced down in confusion, tilting my head. My face froze and my shoulders jerked to my ears.

A letter.

Another one, addressed to me.

With a shaky hand, I picked it up and opened it.

'I'm watching you right now.'

A prickle ran down my spine and I raised my eyes, slowly and warily looking around the basement full of arcade games. My heart started to pound as I slowly, carefully leaned out into the open, hair sliding over my shoulder as I looked to the left and right.

A chill touched me, that telltale sensation of unfriendly eyes digging into me.

My hair stood up and I folded the letter, stuffing it into the envelope.

"Good!" I barked, taking a heavy step forward; baring my face in a threatening snarl, I thought of Jasper and everything he'd done, letting a vicious red haze cover my eyes, letting my buried bloodlust show on my expression as I raised my hand and gave the darkness the finger. "If you're really watching me right now, good! I hope you fucking see this, you piece of shit!"

I jabbed my middle finger at the empty basement, in every direction, breathing hard with my fists clenched, not feeding into the fear mongering. Then I patted my groin and motioned for whoever was watching to suck it before ripping the letter and its contents into pieces.

"I'm not afraid of you!" I spat, looking around the darkness. "If you have any intention of hurting my loved ones, I swear to God and all of his angels that I will not hold back! I will fucking hurt you! So, that being said, take your creepy letter-leaving ass elsewhere because I'm already taken and nobody wants you around! Find someone else to pull pranks on!"