Chapter 14 cont'd

Start from the beginning

“Hey!” Matthew gasped suddenly, “You wanna know something...”

“...Nope -”

“I've never had cheesecake before,” he playfully wiggled his brows.

Matthew took a few pieces of it, processing the taste in his mouth. His face told it all as his expression dropped. He glanced between the cake and I, once or twice.

“What is it?” I put my fork down.

I had learned to pay somewhat attention to Matthew's changes in mood. I could have only imagined how his mother would have dealt with it.

Weirdly enough, he never spoke about her.

Matthew turned up his face, “It's...okay. Kinda weird to eat after seafood though.”

I grimaced. What a terrible combination.

“Matthew you're kind of picky, you know,” I said either way.

“I'm not.”

He went silent, playing with the fork and spacing out.

“Are you fine?”

He pinched the bridge of his nose, squeezing his eyes.

“Yup.”

After, he paid and we returned to the car. The ride was silent and smooth, but I noticed him go in the opposite direction to the orphanage. I looked out the window, and back at the road.

“Matthew...where are we going?” I switched off the radio.

He turned it back on, “We're going where no man -”

“I'm serious,” I laughed, holding my stomach, “Are we going to the park?”

“Eh...” he tapped the steering wheel, “Not really.”

I decided to stay quiet and enjoy the drive. It lasted for another fifteen minutes.

We arrived at the other side of the town park, the two ends being separated by a large man-made pond. There were a few other people there, so the area wasn't totally secluded.

Matthew double parked in the lot and took off the engine.

I opened the door and looked at the ground, “Matthew...”

“Yeah?” he yelled over at me as he was getting something from the trunk.

“... Nevermind.”

I stepped out of the car, dusting myself off. The atmosphere was freezing, and I clutched my jacket, shivering.

Matthew slammed the trunk, then motioned for me to follow him.

We walked further into the grass, and Matthew laid a blanket right under a tree.

There were groups of people on blankets across the property, or swimming in the pond.

The place was nicely lit with orange and blue lights, but nothing stood out as much as the water which was shining white.

“You might as well jump in,” Matthew smiled as he saw me admiring the beauty.

“In this cold?” I defended, “Pfft...”

I laid on my stomach in the middle of the soft blanket, waiting for Matthew to give a sort of explanation.

I could have heard him cursing himself, as if he had forgotten something. Still, he strolled over to me and sat as usual.

“I'm sorry it's nothing special,” he muttered.

“No, it's okay,” I shifted, sitting upright beside him, “It shouldn't be in your interest to impress me.”