Chapter 32

Seeing her nervously running her hands through her hair John was getting worried that maybe what she wanted to tell him was not something good.
Then again why would she do all that, fight for his forgiveness, take him out on a date if all she wanted to do was leave him?
Realizing how irrational his fears were he decided to just relax and give her time to get up the nerve to tell him whatever it was she needed to tell him.

Finally, taking a deep breath Gem started talking.

"Before I met you, I was content in living in my own little bubble in which everything was so safe and comfortable.
But that day on the bridge changed everything for me.
I did something that was outside my comfort zone and I enjoyed talking with a stranger, well not any stranger, you.
It made me think that maybe there was more to life than only writing, watching movies and reading books.

Although I didn't know it at the time, it made me want someone to share laughter with, someone to love.
At first, I thought I just wanted companionship, but the more time I spent with you, the more I realized that I wanted more and that terrified me.

After my father died, I closed myself off for emotions because I thought that was the best way to prevent ever being hurt as much as I was by his passing, but still, I accepted Luke's friendship because I thought I needed at least one friend.
After what happened with him, I started wondering if letting someone into your heart in any shape or form was even worth the trouble when the pain of loss was so soul-wrenching.
But you...you were able to see me. You saw me just as I was and never did anything to try to change me, you just wanted me to change my attitude to love.

For the first time, I didn't feel bad about who I was.
I didn't think it was horrible that I was so different from others, that my quirks were annoying and unlovable.
You were the first guy, the first person after my father, to see the real me and to accept it no questions asked.
Not only that but you are also the first person to show me your soul, to tell me about your wishes and dreams.

I admire you.
I admire the fact that you are honest and kind even when the world is not so kind to you.
We understand each other and share a special bond that I don't think is so easy to find." She said.

As she took a small break to breathe in deeply John couldn't help but hope that the conversation was going in the direction he was hoping for.
The bright fire of hope burned in his heart that he had finally managed to tear down her walls, to destroy all her defenses and to find a cozy spot in her heart.

"The kindness you showed me even when I didn't really deserve it helped me believe that there were still good guys in the world and that you were one of them.
From that moment onward I started slowly but surely opening my heart to the idea of letting someone in, well, not anyone, you.

No matter how scared and stupid I was at times, you still stood by me and helped me become more comfortable with the idea of dating, of loving.
After my father's death and Luke's betrayal, my heart was like a fortress but you managed to conquer it." She said.

She looked him straight in the eyes, something she rarely did, and she could see a spark of hope in those beautiful eyes of his.
All her doubts disappeared, and she knew without the shadow of a doubt that she was doing the right thing.

"Oh, God I never believed I would be saying this. I am so nervous." She said as she chuckled.
Seeing that she just need time to relax John just gently squeezed her hand not saying anything.

"I especially didn't think I would be saying these words so quickly but I decided to say what I feel, no matter what. The truth is, you are my first love.
John, I love you. " She said.

Shocked as he was that she was finally able to say the words out loud, in a matter of seconds he pulled her face close to his own so that they were a hairbreadth away and just before kissing her with all that he had he said the words he had wanted to say for such a long time.
"I love you, too, Gem." He said.
Then they were kissing like they never wanted to stop as it felt as if their lives depended on it.

When they had to come up for air he started kissing the tip of her nose, her cheek her forehead, just wanting to adore every part of the wonderful person that was Gem.
"I wanted to tell you that I love you for such a long time, but I was afraid of scaring you off." He said.

He didn't mind in the least the tears that started flowing down his face, tears of pure joy because finally, he had found what he had been looking for his whole life.
All of his dreams were coming true, and he didn't care if crying wasn't manly or if someone thought badly of their public displays of affection.
Caught in their own little world, they didn't even register the outside world as they resumed kissing each other with all the love and passion they had.

Even once she realized what they were doing, Gem didn't care what people would think because she was finally free, free to love and be loved.
It was the best feeling ever.
She felt as if she was soaring through the skies, it was exhilarating.

_____________________________________________________________________

John was surprised that Gem suspected nothing.
Was he that good at hiding things, or she wasn't expecting what was about to happen?

He picked her up early in the day, and they spent a lot of time in the park just enjoying each other's company.
It was one year since she had told him she loved him. It was actually on that same day, and he wasn't sure if Gem even remembered.
For him, it was the best day of his life, and he wanted to eternalize it.

When they went to the same sport's bar in which she had told him she loved him, it didn't seem like she understood why they were there and that was both good and bad news for John.
The good news was that he would be able to surprise her but the bad news for him was that she forgot the day that meant so much to him.
Nevertheless, he proceeded with his plan.

John knelt down on the dirty floor of the bar.

"Gem, will you do me the honor of marrying me?" He asked holding out a beautiful star-shaped ring.
The shock was written all over her face.
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" She said.
"NO, I really would love if you were to become my wife." He said smiling broadly.
"Are YOU kidding ME?!" She repeated.
"Will you do me the honor of marrying me?" He asked starting to get uncomfortable.

Even after everything they had gone through, a seed of fear started sprouting out that she might refuse his offer.
"Are you KIDDING me?!"
"No, I am not. Now, what is your answer yes or no?" He said having lost all the confidence he previously had.
"YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES! I will marry you!" Gem said.

She screamed so loudly that all the people in the bar turned their hands in their direction and openly stared.

Once more, the small sports bar saw two people kissing each other with more fervor than a public place such as that one dictated.
However, they were all smiling at the happy couple and a round of applause went through the crowd.

"This is so crazy!" Gem said.
"Why?" He asked.
"Because it turns out that we will have our engagement party tonight. I prepared a surprise party for our I-love-you-anniversary as a surprise to you. Did you really think I would forget the most amazing day of my life, well until now?" She said smiling broadly.

John chuckled, embarrassed that it even occurred to him that Gem, his sweet Gem would forget that special moment.
Putting one arm around her shoulders he led her outside, and they headed to the party to celebrate the beauty of love that they both found in each other.

Gem was overjoyed that she was finally able to experience her first love and that John was the one to conquer her heart forever.

THE END