|• chapter - 14 •|

Start from the beginning

I turned around not knowing what to do when Dr. Shehryar came around telling me 'I was with him' and then he started dragging me to some other bed. "Help me out with this one since you're free." He said, more like ordered. I didn't want to be anywhere near him but it wasn't in my hands. I nodded and studied the charts of the patient as the patient who was a little boy, struggled in the hold of the officers.

"You're scaring him." I said to the officers holding him down.

"Who are you? He's psycho! I dont want to die because of him." The officer replied as I told him to leave the patients hand again.

"I'm Dr. Annaya Khan and if you don't leave his hands right now I will cut your hands off." I replied with a glare he couldn't avoid and quickly moved back.

"He's not psychotic, he's autistic and he doesn't like people touching him." I stated to Dr. Shehryar as he kept on looking at me as if I was some freak. Ugh why do I have to be on his team? Nevermind, I don't care about him and his stare right now, I need to help this kid, I thought and began talking to him to calm him down.

"Hi liam? I'm annaya. I want to put something here-" I said lightly tapping on the place where he needed to be injected "so can I? I promise no one will touch you." I said reassuring him and he looked at me with half closed eyes. "Yes-s-s", he whispered as I took the morphine syringe from the nurse and injected it into his hand.

He started stabilizing making us all relived. "We need a CT and MRI and it will be near to impossible to get one but we have to try." I told the nurses and they prepared liam for his test.
I looked around for his chart that I had put on the table but still couldn't find it. Where did I put the chart? I looked around until it appeared close to my face, held in his hand.

"You're supposed to be helping me. Working with me. Not without." Dr. Shehryar said.

"I am helping you." I stated as I tried to take hold of the chart.

"This is not what helping looks like. Neither does it look like you're working with me. It looks like I'm working for you."

"Then you're wrong."

"Oh so I'm wrong now. How so, Dr. Annaya?" He said a little irritated but there was something wrong.

I looked him dead in the eyes before saying the words that I knew were wrong but I wasn't going to hold back right now. "Even if it was for me, I would never choose you." He looked at me too long for it to be anger or confusion. Something close to hurt flashed in his eyes but before I could say anything else, my own eyes widened as realization hit me what I had said. Those deep oceanic beautiful eyes held remorse and hurt. I felt as if I was being punched repeatedly. The nurses called us ending our little, century long encounter. He nodded at them and went away without a word. I felt like someone was squeezing my heart out. Why did I say that? Since when did I have the courage to even speak to him? And why am I feeling hurt?

The beautiful yet scary night went away as light overcame the nights darkness. Many of the crash victims had been treated and were discharged as most were discharged from life. Some cried out of pain while some cried out of joy. The sorrowful tune that the rain brought along with it was now silenced.

Many of the doctors left including Sara, Ali and Ahmed. I was really tired and would have loved some time with my bed but how could I leave? People needed me here right now.

Do 'people' include Dr Shehryar aswell? My conscience whispered.

I don't know. Maybe they do, maybe they don't. I replied unsure of what I said.

'Apologize and that squeezing will stop.' The voice provided a remedy but I was afraid. Surprisingly I wasn't afraid of Dr.Shehryar right now but that voice in my head. I was afraid that it was true. I was afraid of the result that would come from apologizing. I was afraid of the facts that would reveal to me. Nonetheless my feet carried me to the door I ran out from yesterday. The guilt building up inside me. It was a different kind of feeling, the feeling of restlessness?

A series of knocks later he replied 'come in' as I opened the door slowly and entered. I wanted to keep the door open but that would look more weird? He looked up from the paperwork he was busy in and nodded for me to sit.

"I-I uh..." I tried beginning my apology but it didn't seem right. "Is it something related to the patient? If not, I'm busy right now. You can leave." He replied, his voice strained and cold. He threw back exactly what I had said to him yesterday. He made me feel how maybe he was feeling. Tears stung behind my eye but I kept a straight face and nodded. Getting up I quickly muttered, 'it's not important' and went out the door but before the door could close, I heard him sigh. A loud one.
I knew it. He was biased and dumb. He's not the only one who can be cold. Ugh, I dont care anymore. I grabbed my belongings from the locker room and headed to my car. It's time I go back to my house and stay where I feel at peace.

Slightly interconnected with the next chapter that will be posted soon inshallah. Let me tell you, a very big twist is coming up. I hope Dr.Shehryar and all of you are ready for it. It will all be revealed in the upcoming chapters so hold on tight.

Stay happy, stay blessed,
Happy reading everyone! xx
-badkitten146