☹ Chapter 33 ☹

FOR YOU

FOR YOU

I saw Dante and Michael, leaning on my car, waiting for me.
"Hello, boys." I joked and they leaned off my car, startled by my sudden appearance.
"Ready for the Halloween party tonight?" Dante asked me, raising his right eyebrow.
"Uh, yeah. How about you Michael?" I asked and all of our attention turned to Michael.
"I don't know, I think so." He muttered, obviously still a little gloomy.
"I hope you do, Sinasac." I said, sternly in a obviously joking manner.
"What are you going as?" I questioned Dante and he turned back towards me.
"Uh, as dante." He joked and I slapped his shoulder softly.
"Really? I'm the only one dressing?" I said in disbelief.
"What are you gonna even dress as?" Michael spoke out.
"Nothing anymore, I'll probably just where some nice clothes." I said and noticed everyone leaving the school parking lot.
"Let's leave." I said and the boys got in my car without question.
———————
It was later in the night, and the soft chatter of children trick or treating was heard throughout the whole town.
I was parked outside of Dante's house and waiting for him to come out, as I was his ride for the party.
Michael decided to get a ride from someone else.
"I'm sorry for taking so long." He apologized and opened the car door.
Dante wore a yellow sweatshirt and black joggers, the usual.
"It's alright, D." I sped off, as soon as he sat in the car.
I wasn't dressed up, but I was wearing one of Dante's black shirts and black ripped jeans.
"So, is Michael going still?" Dante questioned, randomly.
"Yeah." I replied.
After a moment of comfortable silence, he spoke out.
"Do you like us?" He asked me and I glanced at him.
"What do you mean 'us', D?" I stated and he sat up in his seat.
"Just us being together, do you like the idea of us being together?" He said, as we pulled up to the party.
I looked at him like he told me the sky wasn't blue.
"Dante, are you kidding me? I love us being together, and yeah we've fucked up and made mistakes but Dante I would do it over and over, for you. Why'd you ask me that?" I exclaimed and he ran his hand through his hair, sighing.
"Are you sure?" He asked, his gaze meeting mine.
"Are you okay? We've been dating for the past couple months and we've been better than ever. I'm happy with you Dante, I swear. I love you. Why are questioning us?" I asked in confusion.
I was hurt.
Why would he ask me something like this?
After all this time, why would he question us?
"I'm not, I just wanna make sure we're okay." He said and leaned back in his seat.
After a couple seconds of silence, he spoke out once more.
A small smile formed on his face.
"And ally?" He mentioned, waiting for my reply.
"Yes, D?" I replied.
"I love you too." He said and grabbed my hand.
"Hey, you haven't even had a drink yet, d. Don't get soft just yet." I joked and he playfully rolled his eyes.
I let go of his hand and opened the car door, waiting for him to follow my actions.
"Come on." I exclaimed and we both walked out the car.
We walked up and I immediately landed my eyes on Riley and Julia.
"Hey guys." I said and they greeted us back.
The boys split off into their own conversation, while me and Julia talked.
"Are you excited for the fireworks tonight?" She asked and I nodded.
"Best part of this damn party." I joked and she laughed.
"What time do they start anyway?" I asked her and she looked at her phone.
"In about 10 minutes, if I were you, I'd go look for Dante." She said and we split off into different directions.
I looked around and couldn't find Dante anywhere so I went to the last place I could.
The patio in the backyard.
I had hoped that I'd find him there.
"I saved us some seats, al." Dante called out at me and my head immediately turned to his direction.
I smiled softly at him and walked over sitting in the lawn chair right next to him.
"Beer?" He offered and I took it from his hand, muttering a quick 'thank you.'
People began to rush through the doors and onto the patio.
A couple minutes of silence and exchanged glances between me and Dante passed, before the first fireworks set off.
We watched as the fireworks bursted into the sky.
I looked at him, and he was looking at the vibrant colors popping from the fireworks.
We weren't perfect.
We never could be, but I loved him.
In that moment, I had hoped that he had loved me.
I held his hand in mine and squeezed it gently.
And as the last bit of fireworks popped off and it got more chaotic, I realized something.
As the bursting and popping continued in the sky.
As the colors sprinted across the night.
As the murmur of the crowd got louder.
As he squeezed my hand tighter.
I realized how much I truly loved him.
How much I truly loved us.
I realized that going to the stupid party and meeting him there was never a mistake.
I realized that he, in fact, was my relief.