Eleven: When It's Cold Outside

It was getting significantly colder outside, but that didn't really bother me. At home I would be in the woods training with my brothers until I aches. We would run through the woods playing an aggressive game of hide and seek with the small coverage we got from the bare trees. Michael was the worst at hide and seek, so he was always found first. I would try my best but Karter and I was either found second or third; Dillon was always last because he was the best. Man, winter was probably my second favorite season of the year. My first would always be fall.

However the cold air surely affected Zephyr. December started out mild, but now the temperature had finally set in. The poor man's teeth were chattering violently, and his olive skin was beginning to turn pale and blue from the cold. Before the elf prince could die of hypothermia, Elsie and I went in search of a coat and heavier jackets while Zephyr cuddled into Sonia.

We arrived at a small town called Glennburg. From the looks of it, it was a predominantly human town, so Elsie and I tried to blend in as best as possible. That wasn't hard since the people were mostly in their homes away from the cold weather. But the few people did see looked at us like aliens. Soon we came across a thrift store that would sell lightly used coats.

As I pulled open the door, I heard a small bell go off above me. A cashier woman greeted us with a polite, "Hello, welcome to Pretty Penny Thrift store!" Elsie and I both said hello, and then went in search of a coat and jackets. They were set fairly close to the door.

I looked through the selection and found a nice fur coat that would certainly suit Zephyr nicely. I held up the brown coat up for the vampire to see. She giggled and said, "Looks nice, but let's try to find something a little less furry." I nodded my head and continued to look through the coats. A few moments later I heard Elsie exclaim.

"Aw! Look Reese, I found the purrfect hoodie for you!" The vampire walked up to me with a cream colored hoodie with black halfway down the sleeves. The pocket was a silhouette of a black cat, the strings of the hood had paws on the end of it, and the hood also had two cream colored cat ears on it. It was super cute, but...a little too much. I shook my head with a smile.

"It's a cute hoodie but I don't think so," I said with a laugh.

Elsie rolled her green eyes at me, "What do you mean?! It would be super adorable on you! You have to get it, Reese!" Then she tried to give me the puppy dog eyes. The nerve of this girl! Too bad it doesn't work on me, I have immunity! After that I countined to look for a coat for Zephyr. Eventually I found a nice, blue bubble coat that would keep the elf warm. Too bad, I didn't find many thing for myself.

I walked up to the register and waited for Elsie to appear. The cashier woman gave me big smile as I set the coat on the counter for her to ring up.

"That's a nice choice you made there. Is this all?" She spoke. The woman looked about in her fifties with graying hair cut into a bob.

"No, I'm waiting for my friend to get what she needs," I replied as I rested my elbows in the hard surface.

The woman nodded her head, "Ah, okay. But if you don't mind me asking, what brings you girls to our little town?"

"Just passing through. We're on our way to New Westlake."

"Well you two have a lot of traveling ahead of you."

"Yes we do."

Then the brunette vampire walked up with two articles of clothing in her hand, and a huge smile on her face. It was a navy blue jacket and a cream....oh my Lord....

"Elsie I told you no!" I said with an exasperated sigh.

She set them on the counter with the coat so the woman could ring them up as well. "Technically, you didn't. You said it was cute, so I'm gonna get it for you. Think of it as an apology gift."