Chapter Five: Becoming Friends or Maybe Not

Two weeks later: October 25th

I was wrong thinking it was better without having someone to talk to. Deven might have been annoying in the beginning when I first arrived but he's actually a good friend. Looking back now I realized I came here with my mind set already. To hate everything and everyone I came to meet. Making friends seemed like the worst idea possible. Especailly when all my other so called friends turned their backs on me. And with a friend that hurt me like he did of course I wouldn't trust someone wanting to start a friendship. But none of that was Deven's fault and it didn't give me the right to be mad at him for his attempt to be friends with me. All he was trying to do was be nice because his parents took me in. It wasn't like he was asking about my past or trying to irriate me on purpose. In his eyes he saw that I needed a friend and he was right.

Since I gave in and started talking to Deven I've felt a little less stressed and not so out of place. But that doesn't mean I trust him enough to tell him much about. Most of our conversations have nothing to do with my past and why I'm here. We only talk about other everyday things because part of me still wants to hold back and not reveal everything. And I'm pretty sure Deven knows that which is why he doesn't bring it. And for right now I can at least pretend to be any normal sixteen year old my age. Finally able to be my old self or somewhat my old self that I used to be.

I look up watching as Deven makes a complete fool out of himself. Dancing around the room when he obviously can't dance. Just to grab my attention and get me to laugh as I sit on the bed. "You know you're a dork right?" I finally say causing him to stop with a smile since he got want he wanted.

"Yeah I know." he replies the smile still on his face as he takes a seat back on his bed across from mine. "And you aren't?"

"No, why would I would?"  I reply.

"I really doubt that but whatever. So what do you want to do the rest of this boring Saturday?" he replies sounding and looking as bored as I am.

"What is there to do in this town?" I reply trying to recall anything I've seen in town that we could do. I've been here for a month and I still haven't explored this town. Other than school, my counsoling place, and the grocery store I haven't been many places.

"Well not much really unless you want to go to the movies or the library."

"Sounds boring. Remind me again to ask Hazel why she forced me to live here."

"Aw come on it's not that bad. You do have me to talk to."

"Oh and that makes up for everything?"

"Well duh of course it does. Just hold on I'll look up if there's anything going on tonight at this one place." he says before pulling his phone out of his pocket and typing something in.

"What one place?"

"It's just this place downtown that has bands play sometimes. They usually suck but every once and a while they have good bands.

"Like?"

"I don't know I'm checking." Suddenly a huge grin on Deven's face appears like he got the most brillant idea in the world. "Where did you live before?"

"West Brooke, why?" I ask starting to feeling uncomfortable with whatever idea he has going through his head.

"No reason just wondering." he says. His thumbs typing something in again on his phone. "No wonder you complained the first day you got here West Brooke is way bigger."

I nod my head pretending I'm listening when in reality the last thing I want to do is talk about where I used to live. Or about anything about back then.