RENT 7 - GIRLFRIEND TRAINING

SARA

"What?" I widened my eyes at Jeanie who is still gawking at me. She was sitting in silence while following my every move with her eyes. It's creepy, it's distracting and it's getting on my nerves.

I really hate it when the Marketing Department has a lot of free time in their hands because that only means Jeanie has a lot of free time in her hands which, I can assure you, will not be used for the benefits of mankind. A bored Jeanie is BAD NEWS! <- all caps and with an exclamation point at the end. Well, not for everyone, but for me.

But she's my bestfriend. I love her so I put up with her.

"Crystal is right. You're pathetic", she said after a while.

Screw friendship. I hate Jeanie.

"Get out", I pointed at the door and focused on the documents that I was reading. How dare her side with my enemy?

"Do you think I won't know about it? Drink Buddy Adrian invited you out again and since you didn't tell me about it, I'm pretty sure you have your mind set on accompanying him - like a good puppy that you are. P-a-t-h-e-t-i-c", she accusingly looked at me.

Believe it or not, Jeanie has this network of sources within the office. That's why she's the Queen of Marketing (and gossips). And of course, she uses the information that she has acquired for her own demented goals. It's quite frightening, actually.

"He's my friend. What's so wrong about getting a few drinks with my friend?" I argued.

This coming Saturday will be hectic. I'm supposed to meet Gio in the morning and I'll be undergoing the so-called Girlfriend Training for the whole day, according to the jerk. I'm not sure what he's up to but it got me really curious. Girlfriend Training? That guy is really unpredictable. He didn't even text me the time or place. Is he going to pick me up on my apartment?

On the other hand, I will meet Adrian at night of the same day. Gio in the morning, Adrian at night. I'm such a sinner hahahaha! (kidding)

"Sara, everytime you meet Adrian, you always have your hopes up afterwards. You always end up thinking that maybe, he likes you too because of the way he treats you."

Bummer. She really has to bring that up again, doesn't she?

"He already made it clear that I'm just a drink buddy to him during the Christmas Party. I won't be delusional again, don't worry."

"Don't say I didn't warn you", she glared at me.

Believe me, I won't. I still value my life, thank you very much.

***

For the crime bosses to gather in one room is an exceptional and rare event. The officers of different ranks were seated in a round table with carvings of Chinese Zodiac Animals. There are 2 distinct seats compared to the others - the seat of the Deputy Mountain Master occupied by Gio and the seat of the Dragon Head who, of course, is not present, except for a laptop on the table set up by the Dragon Head's unit. The meeting is being transmitted to wherever their leader is.

The Blue Lanterns (uninitiated Triad Members) were being eliminated one by one before their scheduled Initiation rites to be an official Triad member. This is causing unrest within the organization. After all, the list of Blue Lanterns' names is confidential information known only to a chosen few. For this reason, an emergency meeting was called.

"Is there a conflict within some of the members?" the Red Pole asked.

"Internal war? It's impossible", the Incense Master grimly shook his head.