“We all looked after each other, Taylor didn’t just need us, we needed her as well.  There would be days Caden would lock himself in his room, and he would only come out for Taylor never me.  So it wasn’t us raising her.  She looked after us as well,” Jessica explains and I smile slightly.

“So I take it you three were close?” Niall asks.  Jessica lets out a slight chuckle.

“Caden and Tay used to be so close.  They would chase each other around the house like five year olds,” she pauses letting out a small sob.

“Then they never failed to join me in on the fun.  We were all each other had,” Jessica say trying to stop the tears, but we both have them falling.  Niall surprises me and gets up from his seat coming to sit next to me, he wraps his arm over my shoulder bringing me closer to him.  I’m hesitant at first but then I accept the embrace.

“I’m sorry about your brother…” Niall tells me sincerely.  I let out a shaky sigh.

“Yeah, me too,” I reply, letting my head fall down on his shoulders.  The room goes into a comfortable silence as everyone takes in everything that has been said.  I start to think about all the times we had together when he was still here.

“The boys and I are going to go back to our apartment just to grab some things, we’ll be back soon,” Louis says kissing my sister on the cheek and giving me a small wave as they all pile out of our apartment.

“So how are you?” Jessica turns to me and we both laugh at the ridiculous question.

“Well probably as bad as you are,” I admit and she nods her head.  I have to ask the question that has been annoying me for two years…

“Jess, what did your note say?” I whisper-ask her.  She looks up at me then back to the ground.

“Do you want to read it?” she asks me and I nod my head.  I’m a little shocked she kept it.  I mean I kept mine but hid it some where I know it will be safe.  She gets up from the couch to get her note, while I go to get mine.  She never asked to read it but I know she wants to.

Once we are both back into the living room we exchange notes and we both are hesitant to open them, just like I was the first time.  It’s like opening up an old chapter of your life, just one that never fully closed.  I finally get the nerve to open it with shaking fingers.

Jessica,

I’m sorry for this.  I’m leaving, I’m backing out.  I’m weak unlike you.  I know you’re strong enough to handle this.  Everything I said earlier is true.  You are what keeps our family together, and right now Taylor is going to need you to help keep her together.

Don’t shut down, don’t leave Taylor alone, you promised her you would never leave her, don’t break that promise like I am.  You have what it takes to make it through this.  I have always admired your strength; I could never be as strong as you.  I wish I could explain why it has to be this way, but I can’t.  So please don’t try to contact me, I changed my phone and number.  I love you so much remember that. 

I left you my savings, under my bed.  Save it for an emergency.  Use it as a last resort; there is enough in there for you and Taylor to completely start over somewhere.

I know you can do this I have faith in you.

Love you.

Love, Caden.

A single tear drops from my face and lands on my arm.  He left us money?  I didn’t know that…

“Do you still have the money?” I ask her once she finished reading my note.