Chapter Five-

Chapter 5-

2 years ago

“Hey Taylor?  Can you get my bag out of my room?” Caden shouts from the kitchen.

“Get it yourself! Lazy lazy boy,” I giggle shaking my head knowing he was going to get me back for that.

“What was that?” Caden asks coming around the corner with a smirk on his face.  I take a step back then race up the stairs laughing the whole way.  Once I get to the top I run into a not to pleased Jessica.

“Jess!  Help!” I yell laughing hiding behind her as Caden gets to the stop stair.

“You guys are like two little kids, Caden leave her alone.  Taylor just get him his bag.  You’d think I was the oldest,” Jessica rolls her eyes, but no doubt has a huge smile on her face.

“What’s for dinner tonight?” I ask Jessica, turning to head for Caden’s room.

“How about some kind of pasta?” Jessica yells to me.

“Sounds good, right Cad?” I ask my brother.  Once I’m in his room I spot the bag on his bed.  His room is oddly clean for once it almost looks empty.  I walk back out of the room not thinking much of it.

“I won’t be home for dinner…” Caden informs us looking sorry.

“That’s the third time this week,” Jessica points out and I nod my head in agreement.

“Well, I’m busy.  Sue me,” he says rather rudely.  Jessica and I stare at him in disbelief.  His mood changes have been pretty drastic lately.

“Ok, well sorry,” Jessica says leaving the room.  It’s easy for her to stay mad at him, but for me its not the same.  Caden is like my best friend.  He’s there when I cry, when I miss our parents, when I just need someone, when I’m lonely.  He has always been there, him and Jess both.

“Look, I’m sorry Tay.  That was rude of me, I’ll try to make dinner tomorrow,” he smiles slightly at me pulling me into a hug.

“It’s ok.  Can you apologize to Jess though?  She just misses you,” I inform him.   He smiles down at me and nods.

“Yeah, lets go,” he says pulling me downstairs to find Jess.  Once we get downstairs we see her in the living room sitting on the couch facing the window, wiping her tears away.  Caden lets go of me and walks towards her sitting down next to her and wrapping her in a hug.

“It’s so hard Caden,” she tells him.  He makes her look up at him.

“I know we can do it though.  You are so strong, we’re all going to make it through this,” Caden reassures her.

“I just want her to have it better then we did,” I hear her whisper faintly.  I wish she wouldn’t be so hard on herself.  She is the best big sister.

“She does, Jessica you do that.  You make her life great, and don’t ever think any differently.  You keep this family together,” he tells her kissing her forehead then standing up.  I wipe the stray tears that made there way down my cheek.

“Bring it in!” Caden smiles with his arms out wide.  Jessica and I roll our eyes, Caden’s solution to everything is group hugs…  Jessica and I reluctantly make our way to Caden and hug it out until we’re all laughing.

“Alright, so everyone’s good now?  I’m going to leave, I’ll be back sometime tonight,” Caden says backing away grabbing his bag, and walking out the door.

Dinner was uneventful, Jess and I made smile talk, jokes, and laughed as always.  We do everything we can to distract ourselves from the three missing spots at the dinner table.  So after dinner we wash up, shower and get into our pajamas.  We meet down stairs for a movie night in the living room we set up three sleeping bags, knowing Caden would join us when he gets home.