.20

Sunshine.

Lots and lots of sunshine.

I laid down on the grass soaking up every bit of sun I possibly could. I always enjoyed being outside and loved the way everything felt against my skin, it had been 4 months since everything went down and I felt happy, there are still some nights where I cry myself to sleep and feel like nothing means anything. 

I was officially in a new school with better friends and a better program, I knew my mum would be proud of me and for all the progress I'm making and the grades I'm getting as well. I had managed to keep straight A's while going through my dad's trial. He pleaded guilty and got 70 years in prison for murder he's been trying to contact me but I keep declining his calls.

I took a sip of my lemonade enjoying the coolness of it and listened to the ice hitting the bottom of the glass. This was the only really warm day that we had all week and I was using it to my full advantage, I was laid out in our backyard next to our pool, the sun was soaking my skin and I made sure to reapply sunscreen every half an hour to avoid burns.

"Bon! Tess is here" My dad yelled from the living room, I turned around and saw Tess walking towards me from inside, she was wearing blue denim shorts and a black crop top I was jealous of her figure and pulled my towel around my exposed stomach.

Tess and I had gotten so close over these past few months, she was there for me while I went through my mums funeral and dealt with her death. She was literally my best friend and we got on so well together and we're inseparable. We spent the afternoon laughing and joking around before we decided to go in the pool. 

We grabbed each others hands and jumped in together, the water was nice and cold from how warm I was before, it was a nice change. I floated back up to the surface and took a deep breath of air, Tess was still under the water and was just swimming around underneath me. I swam over to the side and pulled my self up sitting on the concrete. 

Tess came and up and told me about some pool game we should play about who could hold their breath the longest under water. I laughed at her and slid back in the water.

"1...2...3" She yelled and ducked her head under, I took a deep breath and followed after her, I opened my eyes and looked at her, Tess pulled funny faces at me trying to get me to break and lose the game.

My lungs started to burn from not breathing but I held onto it trying my best to win but I finally went back up and took in another deep breath coughing loudly. Tess came up coughing and laughing at how I could barely hold my breath for a minute. 

After an hour we went back inside and dried off in the bathroom, I changed my clothes and went out into the kitchen where my dad was cooking something for dinner.

"Hey Tess did you wanna stay for dinner? We're having spaghetti bolognese" My dad smiled winking at me, happy I was making friends.

"Um yes, spaghetti is the best I am definitely staying" She joked and pulled out her phone to tell her mum what she was doing. 

I took a seat at the table and pulled out my own phone, my dad had gotten it for me when I moved schools, it was so cool having my own phone I got to talk to people and play games. Tess sat down next to me and we started talking about people at school and how much fun this year has been and then Tess started talking about boys. She had a boyfriend and no boys really paid any attention to me so I didn't mind sitting and listening to her ramble on about how much fun they have together.

After dinner Tess went home and I sat in the living room wth my dad, we sat and watched reruns of FRIENDS and laughed at all the jokes. 

"Hey Bonnie, are you okay?" My dad asked, every night he asks me the same question and I always give him the same one but tonight I felt different.

"Yes dad I really really am okay" I smiled and turned back to the TV, finding peace in my life and for once I felt actually happy. 

Word Count: 774