.16

Scratch

Scratch 

Scratch

The social worker that was assigned to my case kept writing down notes on my life and didn't seem particularly interested in me one bit. 

"So, you claim this man is your actual father?" She said to me holding out the photo my mum had left, I nodded and watched as she raised her un-plucked right eyebrow

"But you have no memory of this man or haven't had any contact with him before?" She asked again and once again I nodded. This was the third time she asked me these questions but she still refused to believe it. 

"Well we found an address for this man and have identified him as Ben Brown husband to Elizabeth, we're trying to call but him but no answer and we're just waiting for a phone call back." She informed me

"Why isn't he answering do you know?" I asked hoping to hear that he was on the way

The lady rolled her eyes again "I don't know kid, usually when you're wife dies you would pick up the phone, excuse me please" She said hastily before walking out of the room. I rolled my eyes as she left and reached over the table pulling at my file, it was thin and only had a few pages in it which included my birthday, where I was born and my real parents information. I scanned over Elizabeths page realising that I didn't know half of the stuff on here and saw my dads page. 

I looked over it and saw exactly what I was looking for, the address. I looked around the room and listened for a minute to see if the lady whose name I didn't even bother to learn was coming back. 

I ripped up the blank sheet of paper she left behind and scribbled the address on it before slipping out of the room. I pull my hood up over my head and avoid eye contact with everyone I see and somehow I make it out of the station un spotted. 

The air is as it was before, cold. I rubbed my hands together and walked, I had no idea where I was going but I just kept on walking, many people passed me as I walked the streets alone. Boyfriends and girlfriends, mothers and daughters, grandparents treating they're grandchildren for dinner. It made my heart sink a little knowing that my family was broken and I would never see my mother again. 

"Watch where you're going kid" A rough looking man said to me as I bumped into him.

"Sorry I wasn't looking" I mumbled looking down fiddling with my fingers. 

"You got that right, where are you headed?" He sighed rubbing the side of his face. I finally looked up taking in his features, his eyes were a bright green and seemed a little broken, he had a stubble across his chin and a messy flop of brown hair pulled into a man bun. 

"I'm just looking for the nearest bus station I'm trying to go home" I told him, I knew I shouldn't be talking to strangers but I was lost and put my trust in this man.

"The bus stop is just down the road from here, you got money for a ticket?" He asked and I nodded my head and pulled put Elizabeth's wallet which was given to me with a whole bunch of her other personal items she had on her. 

"Thank you" I said and walked away smiling.

I was going home.

Word Count: 591