.7

Putrid.

A horrible putrid smell entered my nostrils as the door opened. 

I heard thunder in the distance as we stepped into the room, I flicked on the light to see where we would be staying for the week. It was awful, but liveable.

The wallpaper was peeling from all corners of the room and was a gross green colour which matched the door. The carpet was a dark brown with weird stains almost everywhere. We stepped inside and my foot sunk into the damp carpet which made me shriek slightly. 

My dad brushed past me and dumped the bags on one of the single beds, it made a slow groaning sound as if the beds hadn't been touched in years. I looked around some more, rubbing my hands up and down my arms from the cold as my dad shut the door loudly. There was a small wooden desk in the corner with multiple scratches into it. 

A door was slightly opened which revealed a basic bathroom with red tiles on the floor and an off-white colour for the walls. I was sure that once this motel was beautiful and brand new but had gone hideous with age. 

"Come on kiddo time for sleep" My dad sighed placing his hand on my shoulder.

"This place is ugly right?" He tried to joke, I let out a half hearted laugh trying to make him feel better about this situation, he led me over to the bed I was to sleep in tonight and I slipped under the uncomfortable and scratchy covers, my dad sat next to me pushing a single strand of hair behind my ear

"I know it's not a 5 star hotel but no one will find us here" He said tucking me into the bed, he lent down and kissed my forehead and got up laying into the other bed next to me. I listened to him shuffle around slightly trying to get comfortable until he finally settled.

"Night dad" I said and lent forward to turn off the lamp next to us, the room now surrounded in darkness. I rolled over and closed my eyes trying to fall asleep but finding it impossible to shut my mind off. 

A few hours passed and I was still awake, my dads snores slightly annoying me and keeping me awake. I decided fresh air was what would help me so I quietly lifted the blankets off me and placed my feet on the floor trying not to startle and wake up my dad. I took a few steps to the door and placed my shoes on and my dads big jacket around my shoulders and slipped out of the door unnoticed. 

The air was cold against my face as I tied my hair into a messy bun and walked down the stairs to the edge of the road. I watched as cars drove past me in a blur letting the wind carry my thoughts. 

"Bonnie?" A voice called from behind me, a voice I knew I recognised.

I stood up and spun around seeing the woman that had saved me just hours ago.

"Mom?"

I let tears slip out of my eyes heavily as she nodded.

Word Count 533.