.15

Hands.

Two hands wrapped around my shoulders as I screamed and cried over my mothers body.

I looked up and saw a young lady in a police uniform, she offered me a warm smile and pulled me into her chest whispering to me that everything was going to be okay. I pushed away from her and placed my head on Elizabeths shoulder still crying.

"Mommy don't go" I wailed 

"Please don't die I was gonna come home with you, I was gonna live with you we were going to be family" I cried more. The same hands came around my waist this time tugging me slowly.

"NO!" I screamed holding onto my mother tighter.

"Come on sweetie you have to go" The lady told me running her hands in my hair as a way to calm me down. My body went limp from all the crying and screaming and I was picked up bridal style and carried out of the office. My stomach dropped and I went numb all over. I couldn't feel anything around me. All I could hear was my heart, thumping, louder and louder. Harder and harder I couldn't bare the feeling. The feeling of loss and heat break. 

I was placed on the back of an open ambulance, the cold metal stung my skin but I could barely feel the pain. A blanket was placed around my shoulders and I embraced the warmth it gave me. The young policewoman sat down next to me holding a cup of water. My head hung down to my chest and I sniffed letting more tears pour out of eyes. 

"Bonnie! Bonnie baby come here!" I heard, I looked up and saw him. My mothers killer, desperately reaching out for me. The police were trying to get him in the back of their silver car but he was struggling obviously trying to get to me so I could tell them he was just trying to protect me. He wasn't protecting me, he was hurting me. 

"When you're ready to talk I'll be right over there okay?" The police lady told me and I gave her a weak smile as my way of saying thank you. She returned my smile, hers was more sympathetic and her eyes were sad. I could tell that's how everyone would look at me from now on. Her name badge read Bethany, I didn't think she looked much like a Bethany but that was the only bit of information I kept to myself. Bethany placed a hand on my shoulder and gave it a tight squeeze before walking away scratching the back of her neck. 

I let out another breath trying to get my heart beat under control, the wind pushed against my face making it slightly cold from the dried tears. Police sirens came from every direction giving me a headache and I flinched every time the fluorescent blue and red lights flashed in my eyes. I couldn't even begin to comprehend what just happened to me. A life was just taken from me and I had only just reconnected with her. 

"Hey darling, can I take a look at you?" An older man wearing an ambulance uniform stood in front of me, a first aid kit in his right hand and a towel in his left hand. I nodded and looked up at him as he pressed his glove covered fingers on my neck and pushed in slightly making me feel really uncomfortable.

"Sorry kiddo I'm just checking you out for injuries. Did you get hurt?" He told me giving me a friendly smile trying to make a trust connection with me. I shook my head to his question and he nodded opening up the first aid kit and grabbing out a small torch. 

"Okay follow my finger" He said and did his eye exam that I had no idea how it worked. His name tag read Samuel and in my head I thought up a whole back story for him, he has two dogs and a house, no wife but he's still hopeful he'll find someone to love and cherish.

I chuckled to myself not sure what else to do, my mother just died right in front of me and I had no idea what would happen to me from now.

"We found this on the body" Bethany came back over to me, handing over a small torn picture. It was Elizabeth and a man I didn't know in a hospital room, a tiny baby in her arms. I turned it over and saw in cursive hand writing: Elizabeth and Harry welcome their baby girl. 

More tears slipped from my eyes as my heart broke all over again. I looked over my fathers face, I traced it lightly with my pointer finger. He looked so handsome I couldn't help but smile over it. He had such a proud look on his face like his whole life was leading up to this moment. I let my hand drop still holding the photo as I went over to the police car where he was being held. 

"Oh Bonnie, you know I did this to protect you right? I will never let anyone ever hurt you like she did" He whimpered, I shook my head at him and showed him the photo

"Who is the man in this picture?" I asked sternly, I already knew who he was but I wanted to hear the man that took me from my real family say it.

"That's Harry, he would have never treated you right like I did. He wasn't good for you so I did what I had to, to save you!" He cried saying anything to keep me. Bethany came up beside me, putting her hand on my shoulder tugging me slightly away from him. 

I looked him dead in the eyes "Good bye Dad" Tears slipped so hard down my face I could barely see. 

"Come on hun, we gotta get you to the police station" Bethany told me, she sat in the car with me gently rubbing the back of my hand the whole way home. 

"Why am I going to the station?" I asked finally

"We need an official statement of what happened and we're bringing a social worker down to review your case and see if we can get you into a foster home for now." The thought of a foster home scared me so bad my blood ran cold. I fumbled with the photo my mum had left and handed it over to Bethany 

"Maybe I can go to him?" 

Word Count: 1101