.10

Silence.

The whole room went silent I was so sure I could hear my own heart beat.

"Okay here's the truth" My dad said, his bottom lip quivered slightly. The door burst open and Dr. Adams came in with a happy smile on her face.

"Here is your medicine Bonnie." She told me, a small bottle of pills in her hand. She opened it up and pulled out a small white pill. 

"Take one of these with food everyday and that should help with the pain okay? You can go home when you are ready. We will also make arrangements for when you can do physiotherapy for your leg when you feel a bit stronger. " She told me and I nodded taking in all the information she was giving me. My dad just sat there, his leg bouncing up and down quickly with anticipation. Dr. Adams placed the bottle on the bedside table next to my bed and smiled at me before excusing herself walking out of the room. Letting the thick wooden door close with a click. 

"Should we get you ready to go home?" My dad asked standing up and handed me the crutches that were designated for me. I nodded and lifted my arms in his direction so he could help me get out of bed. 

The door opened once more and Elizabeth's head popped in through the gap.

"Need a hand getting changed?" She offered

"No she doesn't need you. I am her father." My dad argued and I just rolled my eyes and looked over at Elizabeth

"Yes I could use your help" I smiled at her hoping that this would be my once chance to hear everything. I hobbled past my dad and let Elizabeth wrap her long right arm, which was covered in freckles, around my body as we walked trying to get me used to my new crutches. Elizabeth pushed open the bathroom door and it squeaked open. 

I followed in after Elizabeth and she let me use her as a support beam so I could get my top half dressed. I was slightly embarrassed by my body and how bruised it was, Elizabeth wasn't bothered she just carried on and helped me pull my shorts on over my cast on my leg and just acted as if it was a normal day for her. It was silent in the room almost as if Elizabeth was holding her breath.

"It's okay if you want to talk you know?" I attempted at a joke with a half-hearted smile, observing the hideously white bathroom that we were in, I decided to stop when my eye caught the giant smiling clown on the shower curtain and it immediately freaked me out. 

Elizabeth let out a chuckle "Yeah I am just finding it hard to say anything to you right now" My eyebrows came together in a frown unsure of what she meant but before I could ask her she continued

"I mean it is hard to believe that you are almost 14, I've missed so much of your life without meaning to or really wanting to but I didn't really have a choice in the matter. I just want you to know that I didn't leave you when you were a baby you got taken away from me, I had only held you once before your so called father came in and took you from me and I never stopped looking for the two of you." A tear quickly formed in my eye but I wiped it hoping she wouldn't notice.

"He's not my dad is he?" I asked quietly, my heart broke into one hundred pieces when she shook her head no. 

"No he's not, you're real dad is back home waiting for us" She told me taking her hand in mine. 

"Now he is going to tell you his side of the story but while we are in here I am going to tell you my truth and how I'm feeling about all of this is that okay?" She asked rubbing her thumb over my palm. I left my head drop as a few tears slipped out and I let her continue into her story while I tried to sort my head out on who I believed and what I wanted to do with myself. 

Word Count: 726