.6

Knock.

A soft knock came from behind the bathroom door. 

I pulled my shirt down over bruise and ran my fingers through my hair. I swung the door opened and it revealed my dad standing there with a bag in his hand. 

"Where are you going" I asked him shifting my weight from my left foot to my right.

"We are leaving" He told me grabbing my small hand in his large and slightly tugging me down the hall to my bedroom.

"Say goodbye Bonnie, we leave now" He said and pulled my drawers open and took out various items of my clothing and stuffed them into a separate duffel bag he had. Once he was finished he walked out of my room and into kitchen, leaving me no choice but to follow him.

"Dad where are we going" I asked him only to get ignored.

"Dad!" I exclaimed a little louder and stood right behind him.

"We just need to leave! You are in danger now don't you understand!" He yelled back at me grabbing the snacks that I liked and pushed past me into the living room grabbing my colouring books and some reading material for me. I decided to not ask questions and pull on my shoes.

I just finished tying the laces when my dad hurried me out the door and into our beat down car. I buckled myself in and waited for my dad to start the car and leave our home behind. I looked outside my window and watched as our small town whizzed past us in a blur. My dad stopped the car abruptly as he stopped for a traffic light, the same traffic light I always crossed to get to school. I turned and looked out my dads window seeing my school, seeing the very place I got beaten to a pulp almost everyday. 

The light turned green and my dad took off, sweat dripped from his forehead and down his cheek as if he was crying.

"Dad what is going on?" I asked him but he once again ignored me.

"Dad seriously! Answer me!" I almost shouted which I had never done before.

"Hun listen, I'm taking you away because some people are going to come for you but you don't need to worry. I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you" He told me placing his warm hand on my shoulder. I accepted his response and tried not to push him any further and just let him do what he thought was best for me. 

After about an hour of driving my dad pulled into a motel. The vacancy sign flickered on and off and the lights were still on inside. My dad sighed before turning the key and letting the car turn off. He smiled weakly at me before exiting the car and opening the boot and grabbing our bags. I decided to do the same and took a deep breath before opening my door and was greeted with the cold wind. I wrapped my thin black jacket around my shoulders trying to find some warmth but gave up almost as soon as I started. 

I followed my dad from the car into the main office where an older woman sat smoking a cigarette, she flicked it away when she saw us and smiled brightly

"Welcome to Motel Hometel, your home away from home!" She rehearsed as if it was the only thing she said all day.

"Hi, we need a room with two beds please" My dad said using his 'polite work voice.' The lady who's name tag read Elle shifted through some papers before saying 

"It'll be $250 for the week and you'll be staying in room 7" She smiled down at me and I smiled back always remembering my manners.

My dad handed her the cash and took the room key and handed it to me. Elle pointed to the left of us signalling that is where we need to go. We said our goodbyes and walked away. 

I skipped down the corridor with my dad barely keeping up with me and I stopped at room 7. It was a big green wooden door and the number had faded.

"Come on kid I'm exhausted" My dad yawned and motioned to the door. I pushed the big key into the old lock and it took a few tries but I opened it and pushed the door opened.

What I saw was kind of what I expected.  

Word Count: 751.