Chapter Five

“I’m gonna miss you guys so much.” Samantha said hugging first Anna then Tommy. Tomlin might have acted strong but the truth is he was breaking inside, he couldn’t do anything but to watch the girl he had harbored some hidden feelings for leave without letting her know how he felt. He had to tell her at least.

“Sam, can I talk to you privately?” he asked and when Anna nodded with a frown, he led her to a secluded spot at the airport. “Sam, I don’t know how to say this but….but I love you Sam,” He leant his fore head against hers, “I know it’s too late for me but I felt I should tell you. Since the day I saw you, I just wanted to be there for you.” He whispered and brought her closer with his arms, “I’m going to miss being around you so much.” He looked at her face in silence, Samantha was trying to absorb the news Tomlin had just told her, was what she was doing right? Was she supposed to stay and be with Tomlin? She wouldn’t deny that she had ever felt something for him because she had.

“Tommy, I…I…” She stuttered. Tomlin didn’t let her finish, his lips came crushing down on hers causing Samantha to gasp and start kissing him back. She was caught off-guard, but she knew what she was doing wasn’t right, she was leaving and she couldn’t promise him anything. She pulled away, “Tommy, this isn’t right, I’m leaving.” She voiced out her concerns and Tom nodded.

“I know, I just wanted to say goodbye to you. You are going to find someone who is gonna love you more than anything in this world, just know that.” He said and kissed her forehead then hugged her one last time, “Let’s go before Anna comes to practice her karate lessons on me.” They both laughed and headed back. Unbeknown to them, Anna had seen everything, and a piece of her heart had broken, she had a crush on Tommy since the day they met, but now she knew that he loved someone else, her best friend for that matter. And of course, Sam loved Tommy too, just by the way she had returned his kiss.

“Hey there, one more hug before I bode?” Sam woke her up from her reverie. She smiled and went to hug her friend her eyes focused on the man that stood there looking at them. Samantha had to go through check in so she waved to them and walked through the airport doors. Later the flight to Washington was announced and Samantha turned but she knew her friends had gone back home.

The two friends watched the retreating back of their best friend, Tomlin looked over at Anna and frowned, he knew she was sad because of Sam’s departure but did he see something different in her eyes? Maybe he was imagining things. He shrugged it off and put his hand around her shoulders, feeling her tense for a minute and then she relaxed. “Let’s go Anna, now you have me left as your friend, I hope I’ll do.” He tried to joke but Anna’s mind seemed far away.

They walked in silence to Tomlin’s car and he drove off, “You wanna go to my house or can I drop you off to yours?” He asked Anna.

“Just drop me off at home,” She replied, “I’m dead tired.” He nodded and they drove in silence, once in a while looking at each other and wondering what the other was thinking. Anna sighed and knew this was going to be more awkward than she had even thought.

…………………………………..

Samantha entered the plane and looked for her seat which she found by the window, she smiled and knew she was going to enjoy her flight. She had never sat inside an airplane, but she didn’t have the fright for first timers. She was never afraid of heights in all her life she in fact loved being atop things.

“Hello there beautiful,” A voice greeted beside her. She looked to see a Caucasian man in his mid- forties, wow, great, being hit on on my first plane ride.

“Uh, hello Sir.” She stuttered.

“In all my stay here in Uganda, I haven’t seen a girl as beautiful as you.” The man continued with his flirtling. Samantha frowned, she hoped this man wasn’t one of all those perverted ones who went for young girls quarter their age.