Chapter Three

Samantha sat on her small desk in her room as she let her mind do the talking. While the mind dictated, she typed nonstop until she reached to a sentence that could not make any sense. After recapping it like eight times, she sighed in defeat and realized her mind was beat and she had to take a breather. She rested her head on her hands for a while and willed herself to dream of her stranger. For two months now and she had not even dreamed about him, even though she spent all day thinking about him so she can dream about him at night, well that never happened. Why? She groaned and went to lie down on her bed.

“If you’re out there stranger, I hope you’re thinking about me.” She whispered in the darkness and wished she was a child again. At times like these when she needed something, she would find a ladybird and tell her her wish then send her flying. Up to now Samantha doesn’t know whether it was God answering her prayers or a divine intervention because whatever she asked the ladybird for, it would happen within the next few days.  She smiled and went back to sleep with a silent prayer to God. Sleep took over immediately and she let her mind wander around. She looked around and saw a horse, the stranger’s horse. She gasped and ran to it hoping the animal wont sprint in fright of the strange human. Unexpectedly the horse stayed and continued chewing the grass like she never existed.

“Hey there, Domino.” She said and frowned in astonishment, now where did that name come from? The horse neighed in answer and shook his head. “Ok, means that’s not your name. Where’s your owner?” the horse neighed again. “Okay, means you don’t know.”

A sudden wind came out of nowhere and started sweeping things off the earth, Samantha looked around and shuddered in fear, what was happening. She held on to the horse’s rein and prayed a silent prayer. She hoped that things will calm down but things became worse and the wind threw her to the ground, sweeping the horse up and making him disappear. Samantha screamed in terror and tried to stand but was brought down with a force.  She woke up and found herself on the floor, Crap. Crap. Crap. What the heck just happened? She looked around the dark room and calmed down. Why had she just seen the stranger’s horse? Was he okay? Oh God, she offered a silent prayer and climbed back into her bed even if she felt ridiculous worrying about something in a dream.

-------------------------------------------------

“Kassim, you know we have to think of something.” Mrs. Imelda Zuma told her husband. “This girl I'm sure is out there with no one to fend for her.” She may not have been able to have children, but she had a heart of a mother.

Currently she’s been talking to her husband, Mr. Kassim Zuma to consider searching for their best friend’s child. Mr. Samuel Malle had been their good friend and a good business associate. He may have had his own financial issues, but he took good care of other people’s finances and investments well. He never once earned anyone’s doubt, rather every business associate trusted him. He had helped them when they had first come to Uganda, and had taken them in for the first two months until they had gotten their own house.

His wife Claire had also been a very good woman, Imelda remembered. Their death had been a big blow to them. After Mr. Malle’s burial, they had consoled Claire and her daughter for some time, and two months later when they heard of Claire’s passing, they were already in South Africa visiting their family. They couldn’t come immediately and had wondered if Samantha, their daughter was okay. They had relatives, maybe she had gone to one of them. But when they had returned to Uganda, Imelda and Kassim had looked for Samantha in vain. The relatives claimed she had disappeared just like that. Imelda felt uneasiness and she had been talking to her husband to do something and look for the girl, probably she was out there alone and scared.

“I know Ime,” Kassim replied. “Am sure the blow was so hard on her, to think that you have everything and finally it’s all torn from your grasp.” He clacked his tongue and shook his head feeling sorry for the poor girl wherever she was. He was going to hire someone who would find her, Samuel was their good friend and he was sure he wanted his daughter to have security.

“So, what are we going to do?” Imelda roused him from his thoughts. “We are going to hire detectives and find her.” He replied. “Then we will make sure she’s settled and take care of her.” He looked at his wife and smiled. It made him happy to see a smile on his wife’s face. He would do anything to see her happy, and he was going to complete her happiness and his by finding Samantha Malle. Imelda leaned forward and kissed him on his lips.

“Thank you.” She whispered against his lips and he looked deep in her eyes. “You’re welcome.” He answered and kissed her again, igniting the passion they had going on between them. Imelda put her hands around him and let herself be lifted in her husband’s arms. He groaned when she laughed, “Woman, after all this time, you’d think that you should be tired of me.”

“Not happening Mr. Zuma.” Imelda whispered in his ear and kissed him again. He chuckled and carried her to their bedroom. Tomorrow, they will start their search for their best friend’s daughter, Samantha.

……………………………………………

“C’mon Sam, just go and see what that man wants.” Tomlin whined and Samantha rolled her eyes.

“Stop whining Tom,”

“The guy said he has to see you, so get up.” Tom went to stand before Samantha and looked at her eagerly. They were at work and when the well-dressed gentleman had entered enquiring about Samantha, Tomlin had gone to look for her. Samantha had peeped and when she saw that she didn’t know the man, had hesitated and refused to come out of the office. What if he was one of her father’s creditors? No way, she didn’t have any money, therefore she wasn’t going to face any stranger. However harmless they looked, she wasn’t going near them.

“No, Tomlin, am scared, okay?” She looked pleadingly at her friend who refused to budge. She tried batting her eye lashes at him.

“No, Sam,” Tomlin huffed, “Not working, not even the puppy look.”  Samantha glared at him and sighed in frustration.

“What if that guy wants to kill me?” She said and Tomlin looked at her with disbelief. “No murderer is that stupid.” He pulled her out of her chair and led her towards the reception area. They reached the area and the gentleman stood patiently and looked eagerly towards Samantha with a reassuring smile on his face. Samantha forced a smile on her face and approached the man.

“Hallo, you must be Samantha,” He stretched out his hand, “I am Detective Logan.” Gasps were hard around the room and Samantha withdrew her outstretched hand immediately. That's when Tomlin sprung in action, “Woah, woah,” Tomlin came forward, “Hold it there Detective, Samantha has not done anything wrong.” This brought a chuckle from the detective’s mouth, Samantha must have been a good girl if people were defensive of her.

“No young man,” Detective Logan answered, “I’m here for a totally different reason.” This elicited a nod from the people around. “I have been looking for Samantha for quite some time, but for good reasons.” He assured them. “I was sent _,”

“Who wants to take Sam to prison?” Anne burst into the room, making everyone groan from her loud voice. She stood and looked around, probably looking for a new face and she finally stopped before the detective. “Whoever wants to touch my friend will have to pass through me.” Her voice was threatening. Tomlin rolled his eyes and walked over to where she stood.

“Thanks for the nice gesture good Miss,” He said sarcastically, “But you are way behind.” He led her struggling to a seat and pushed her in it, “So sit down, relax and listen without interrupting.”

The detective gave Tomlin a small grateful smile, which Tomlin didn’t acknowledge and continued. "As I was saying, I was sent for a totally different reason to find Samantha.” He turned to her, “And Samantha, if you don’t mind, I would like to speak to you first alone. I’m sure you will talk to your friends later about our conversation.”

Samantha stood up and showed the detective to her office, Anne intended to rise up as well but was held down by Tomlin who earned a killer glare from Anne. “What if he kills her from inside there?” She said defensively.

“C’mon, Anne, just say your life is boring and you’re looking for a good drama.” Tomlin rolled his eyes at her, making Anne mutter under her breath how she would have loved to watch some good drama unfold.