Chapter 3 - Iridescence

Chapter Keyword: Iridescence

Meaning:
The phenomenon of certain surfaces that appear to gradually change colour as the angle of view or the angle of illumination changes

It all happened in the blink of an eye.
Elise was standing just some few steps in front of him when she suddenly just vanished from his sight.

"She's fast!" Ren panicked as he scouted his vicinity for his opponent.

"Looking for me..." he heard a faint whisper come from somewhere which startled him furthermore.

"Focus, Ren.... you just have to concentrate!" he motivated himself.

He slowly shut his eyes and took a deep breath.

He looked above him and saw faint iridescent light swirling above him.

"There you are!" he yelled as he readied himself for his opponent.

Before he could act, the faint light became solid like transparent glass taking the form of a large glaive that was about to descend upon him.

"What?!" he muttered in surprise.

his reflexes quickly kicked and he reacted, moving out of harms reach.

Without warning, a figure appeared behind him; it was Elise!

She prepared to claw at him with long bright pink nails she had materialised at her fingertips.

Once again, he manoeuvred his way out of her reach with agile movement.

This didn't stop her however as she continued to attack him with a flurry of strikes

Her hands moved with grace yet held strength none the less.

It was almost as if her palms had embodied flowing water.

Ren barely managed to evade her unrelenting barrage as each of her consecutive attempts was deadlier than the first.

Ren distanced himself from her as much as he could, trying to regain his posture.

" I get it now."

"Do you really?", Elise mocked him as she disappeared once again into thin air.

Her voice now seemed to be coming from everywhere yet it was nowhere.

"It seems you have the ability to manipulate light to your bidding granting you abilities."

"Such as being able to cloak yourself just like now", he said to her, not forgetting to keep his guard up.

She once again appeared behind him. This time with unprecedented speed, propelling herself forward with her light as if they were flames from a rocket underneath her feet.

"But", Ren said calmly as he turned to face his foe approaching him with high velocity.

The battleground now completely smoke screened with dust.

"You're finished!", she roared in reply as she delivered a powerful kick to Ren that cleared the shroud.

The shroud dissipated, revealing Ren holding onto her left leg, completely unfazed by her prior attack.

"Like I said there's a but..."

"Your footsteps, I can hear them." he properly elaborated with a grin.

This doesn't dissuade Elise unfortunately as she tries to force in a hit to his chest; bringing both her legs forward towards him.

Pushing him back with light from her back thrusting her forward.