Chapter three

"You are late today. Are you okay?" Alfred asked as I tried to fix my things on the desk. "Yes, I just woke up late and had a small accident" I laughed nervously. "What? Are you okay?" Kiku asked worriedly. I could see a hint of jealousy in Alfred's face. "Yeah, also I wish I remember what happened last night, I have been feeling weird all day" I admitted not yet telling them about the string on my finger. "Oh yeah, we were going to ask about that. You only get dead drunk when you are celebrating something or extremely troubled, so we were wondering if something was up?" Alfred asked suspiciously. "No....not really; I guess work was just getting to me," I said, rubbing my throbbing head.

"Do you still have a headache?" Kiku asked. I nodded, and he started to shuffle in his briefcase for something. "Here is some medicine" he smiled at me, handing it. "Thank you," I said taking the medicine. "So you said you have been feeling weird all day?" Alfred asked, and I nodded. They have so many questions, and I have such a bad headache, but then it went away. "Huh?" I said, confused. "You okay, dude?" Alfred asked worriedly. "Yes...my headache just went away is all; I guess that medicine was really good," I laughed, pointing to the small box of medicine. "Right..." Kiku said nervously.
"Also, I was, you see, I can't get this string of my pinky finger, and it is annoying," I said, holding my hand up and pointing to the red string.

They both looked at my hand, then back to me. "There is nothing there," Alfred said, confused. "I am telling you it is; even Francis from this morning could not see it, but he had one on too," I said, frustrated, however, they still looked confused. "What?..." Kiku asked confused more. Alfred took my hand Showing Kiku as they examined it. "Hey, you both have one too!" I said, grabbing their hands. "What are you talking about? There are no strings!" Alfred said, looking at our hands. Suddenly Kiku became serious.

"What do the strings look like again?" He asked. "They are red thin strings, attached to our pinky fingers with a small bow tie attached," I said looking at the one on my hand. "That is not possible" he laughed a bit. Alfred and I looked at him, now interested. "What is it?" Alfred asked, looking at him. "Well....you see, what he described, it sounds like the Japanese folk tale my grandma used to tell me when I was younger" he laughed nervously. "What is the folk tale?" I asked even more curious now.

"Well... For the Japanese, who know so much and into it more, human relations are predestined by a red string that the gods tie to the pinky fingers of those who find each other in life. Legend has it that the two people connected by this thread will have an important story, regardless of the time, place, or circumstances. The red string might get tangled, contracted, or stretched, as surely often happens, but it can never break." He explained. "Wait so you are telling me that Arthur can see the strings of people connected?" Alfred said shocked. "Not only that....but people associate the strings of being connected to love. Since people know that the Ulnar artery connects the heart and pinky together...people believe the strings could lead the person to their true love, or soul mate" Kiku said explaining more.

"No, this is crazy!!! How is that possible...I don't even-." I suddenly had a flash of memory hit me from last night. "What is it?" Alfred asked worriedly. "Last night.....there was a lady....she told me to drink something, and I did," I said horrified. "So you did it? White people are stupid," Kiku said, looking away. "What?" Alfred started to laugh. "That is literally how people get killed" Alfred mocked me. "I was drunk!!! How was I supposed to say no" I defended and they nodded giving in?

"Do you remember anything else?" Kiku asked worriedly. "No...just that," I said sadly. "Well! Look on the bright side; not only are you not dead, but now you could see everyone's strings, meaning you know who someone's soulmate is. Even your own," Alfred said happily. I looked at my string and thought about it. "But is that really good? Would that ruin things?" I asked Kiku, who seemed clueless. "I can try looking more into it if you want. But I think you should not look at your own, besides...wouldn't you want it to be a surprise?" Kiku smiled. "Yeah, you are right," I laughed. "But I guess it would be cool to see other people's," I said, and they both nodded.

"Wait! So that means you can see where ours leads?" Alfred said, excited. "I guess I can," I laughed, looking at their hands. I started to follow where Alfreds led, and my eyes followed it. "That is weird," I said, and they both lifted a brow at me. "It seems shorter," I said, looking to Alfreds. I stood up to look around him until I finally saw where it led. I saw my face turn red as I sat down. "What is it, dude? You have to tell me," he said, trying to get me to say. "I better not," I laughed, looking away. Kiku lifted a brow, confused at my sudden facial expression.

"I wouldn't want to spoil anything for you," I laughed nervously. "Ahh, man! It would be nice to get a hint," Alfred laughed, jumping up and down like a child. I looked at Kiku and saw his cheeks start to heat up. No way!!!!!! So he actually feels the same way!!! I wish I could say something, but I should not. That day...I saw two people connected by soul. Alfred and Kiku were soul mates. But I wasn't going to tell them that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for reading so far