Chapter 57 - Coming Back To Reality

I woke up to sounds of loud, frantic knocking at the door. Springing up from sleep, I found myself in a foreign bed with a soft duvet covering my semi naked body. I was shocked at finding myself like this, but before I could fully understand what was going on, the pounding on the door grew louder. 

I leaped out of the bed and searched around the room, only to come to a stand still in front of my wedding gown. Watching it glow in the afternoon sun, it all came rushing back to me.

Norberto, me, we... had.. we had... slept together...

The harsh reality hit me hard, rooting me at the spot. This cannot be happening. This cannot be true. I desperately prayed for it to be a sick dream, even though in my heart of heart I already knew the truth. The knocks grew louder, and I was jolted out of my frozen state by the sounds of my name being called out. I looked into the mirror behind the gown and saw I was still wearing my bra and the robe, though my under pant was conveniently missing. 

The knocks were getting desperate. There was no time to look for the underwear, so grabbing both the panels of my dressing gown, I tied them tightly around my waist and opened the door with dreaded eyes. As soon as I did, a flustered Pearl, in a bright pink dress, barged inside the room.

"What happened, Melanie? Are you alright?"

"Huh?"

"What are you doing here? Why aren't you dressed yet? And why aren't you answering your phone? Everybody has been trying to call you for past one hour!" 

She spoke rapidly without waiting for a breath. She was obviously concerned for me. When she noticed I am not speaking, she got more worried. Looking at me with a bewildered look, she asked, "Melanie? Albert is waiting for you!"

But the moment I heard Albert's name, all the memories came rushing back. I knew what I had done. I remembered Norberto and his threat about Raul. He had told me not to get married to Albert and.. he...

I remembered it all.

I was unable to hold myself any longer and I slipped down to the bed.

"Melanie! Melanie! What happened?"

I was in no state to answer. Tears of shame and pain flowed through my eyes covering my face. Pearl sat down next to me and I grabbed her to hide my face in her embrace.

"Melanie? What's wrong? Tell me," she asked, holding me to her chest. She had never seen me cry. For her, I was the epitome of strength and determination. She had seen me stride through the fashion industry at my own terms, without succumbing to anyone. This was unimaginable for her. Not getting any response from me, other than my tears, she held me in her arms, trying to calm me down.

Suddenly, her phone started ringing and she had to answer it. She spoke in the phone and turned back to me. She could understand, something was terribly wrong. Looking at me hesitatingly, she said, "Albert is on his way here."

It was enough to push me into action. Standing up, I said, "I need to leave."

"Albert?"

"No, I can't meet him. Not now! Not now!" I said hurriedly. "I need to leave immediately."

It must have sounded all crazy to her but instead of asking me more questions she just relented to my need. "I will wait outside for you," Pearl said understandingly and stepped outside the room.

I got dressed hastily and left the hotel with Pearl as soon as I was able to pull myself together. My fairy tale like wedding day had turned into a traumatic nightmare. There was no way I would be able to forget it. No way to turn it all back. How would I ever face Albert again? It was all too messy and sullied; I couldn't even imagine what Albert would be going through. I had literally left him stranded at the altar.