Chapter 93 - I'll be Waiting

Life had been slipping out of my hands as I had sat there holding Norberto's numb body in my arms. But finally the fighting instincts had thankfully kicked in and I had rushed out to Chris. Grabbing his cell phone from his jacket pocket, I had unlocked it using his index finger and dialed the emergency medical service number.

Most of what followed is still fuzzy in my mind. All I remember is that within minutes emergency paramedics had arrived at the scene. They had looked visibly surprised to find one surviving woman around so many wounded men but fortunately none of them had commented on the same. Later on, police had met me and recorded my statement but fortunately Norberto's clout had helped to keep things quiet despite the scandalous revelations. I had to reach out to Norberto's Companies senior executives to request them to keep it all under cover from the media and they had done everything to not let me, their chief's new wife, down.

I wanted Chris and his men to suffer worst kind of punishment, but that all could wait. At that moment my only concern was to see to it that Norberto and Albert were all right. It had taken more than twenty four hours before the doctors had finally confirmed that both of them had been operated and that Albert was out of danger.

I had almost collapsed as the news had finally registered and my body which had been under intense stress, fearing for the worst, had finally given in. They had had to admit me in the hospital. Couple of intravenous feeds and few hours of sleep, my body had recovered from the after effects of the worst night of my life and I had sprang up to get out of that hospital bed.

The doctors had been strongly against the decision, advising I should rest more but it was impossible to lie in a bed when I knew Norberto and Albert needed me. Plus, I still didn't know how Norberto was doing. I had fought with the doctor telling him I was absolutely fine and that I needed to be with them right away. He had resisted but seeing my resolve, he had finally given in and accepted for me to be released.

The moment, I had been released, I had immediately looked out for Albert and Norberto. I was informed that while Albert was still serious, he had been shifted to a room. He continued to be under observation, but his condition was improving. The bullet had missed causing any serious injury to his internal organs but due to heavy loss of blood, he was still weak and needed time to recuperate.

I found Albert sleeping in his room. He had a large bandage running across his chest over his right shoulder. To my worried eyes, he appeared to have lost weight and sick but fortunately there was a calmness on his face. I hoped and prayed that he felt better too even though his physical body may take a little longer to fully heal. I wish I could have spoken to him but the nurse told me she had administered pain killers along with his medicines so that he could sleep peacefully. It would be long before he woke up. Not wanting to leave, I struggled with my emotions. But I knew I couldn't possibly be of any help to him and that he needed all the rest without any unwanted distraction I may cause like I always did in his peaceful life. I sat next to him for long before gathering enough strength to get up. Placing a light quick kiss on his left cheek, I finally turned around and left the room.

I was worried about Albert, indeed I was and I hated to compare my feelings for them but what I was feeling for Norberto was beyond comprehension. It was impossible to be expressed in words. An unimaginable fear gripped my heart as I moved towards the ICU where Norberto was still being treated.

Doctors had said it was lucky that he had reached the hospital just in time but the amount of badgering his body had suffered, it was surprising, he had endured it so long without giving up. Besides the lacerations on his back caused by the knife injury, which had miraculously escaped his lung capacity, he had suffered multiple injuries and internal bleeding causing severe physical trauma and possibility of long term damage. Apart from these, he had even broken few of his ribs along with several of his muscles, tendons and ligaments had been torn causing both internal and external injuries.