Chapter 17-Sun could watch, so could the clouds, the sky, the trees, the water..

Next morning, I reached the mansion as per my usual time of nine. In the woods, his message had said. Not knowing what exactly he meant, I went to the studio like any other day. The place had been cleaned of its yesterday's mess. There was no sign of what had happened last night. It was no longer stinking of whiskey, there were no drops of blood on the floor and the fallen painting was also not to be seen.

I stood at the center trying to remember all that happened, wondering who had cleaned it all. It was only yesterday when he had told me to get lost, that I was not worthy of his brush. My morning excitement seem to be leaving me as I thought of the hateful words he had thrown at me in fits of rage. What would have happened had he not hurt himself on that glass piece?

Thankfully, I would never find out.

Nor was I allowed more time to brood over all miss-happenings of the day before as I saw Noberto walk in the room. He was in another black shirt with black jeans. What was it with the colour black, I thought but didn't say a word.

He came over to me and said, "Let's start. I like your idea of painting in the woods." He looked quite excited about the whole thing. I, on the other hand, was a different story all together. This was not my idea. At least it wasn't one which I wanted him to take up so eagerly.

"No, this wasn't what I meant. I didn't-", I tried but was cut in between.

"Don't worry. It is a great suggestion. I wonder why I didn't think about it earlier. I guess the place needed a model suited to its essence, someone as natural as the surroundings." He was talking to me but appeared to have drifted to his musings. Before I could understand whether he was speaking to me, he continued.

"Nonetheless, let us get going. I don't want to miss the light," he said while picking up his paints, brushes, canvas and the easel. There were too many things but he didn't show any discomfort. He kept walking towards the door. I wanted to help but more than that, I wanted this to stop. Why couldn't I just keep my mouth shut or come up with some cooked up story to his question last night, I cursed myself. All this was happening because my stupid little brain didn't know what to do when.

My feet refused to move after him. I was making this more and more difficult. It was a disaster as it is with me almost losing my job yesterday. It took all my strengths to strip to my birthday suit and pose for him. But that wasn't enough. I had to go ahead and put my foot in my mouth by telling him of those bizarre ideas!

Now, how would I stand naked out in open for all and sundry to watch? What a wonderful show for them and a nightmare for me!

My futile brain kept coming up with further ridiculous imaginations which were not helping the situation, rather only causing more and more cold feet.

He reached the door and suddenly realized I was not following him. Still loaded with all his stuff, he turned around and asked,

"Aren't you coming?"

"No. Yes. I mean, yes, I am coming." My feet sprang into action at his voice.

Seeing me moving, he turned out and walked out. Going towards the kitchen, he took a small door which led to another long corridor. At the end of the corridor was another door. He opened it to be welcomed by a wisp of fresh crispy air. He looked back at me and stepped out. Reluctantly, I followed him out and saw the large greenery all around.

Before long, we were away from the main mansion and following a thin trail in the woods. I had not seen this path yesterday as we were in the car and had taken some other road. This seem to be some kind of a short cut and within few minutes of walking, we had reached the same clearing where he had stopped the car yesterday.