Chapter 45

Tristan

Waking up to Damien's arms holding me firmly was easily the best thing ever. Nothing could ever come close. Ever.

The clock indicated that it was 10 in the morning. Quite late indeed for both me and Damien. Both of us were usually up a lot earlier. But yesterday had been tiring for both of us what with all the confessions and crying and erm other stuff we did.

The memories brought a flush to my cheeks. I shouldn't be embarassed. After all he was my boyfriend. We were supposed to do stuff and that orgasm denial thing he did was pretty hot. None of my previous partners had ever edged me like that. I usually came when I had to without having to worry about somebody yanking me back from that pleasure.

I had just never imagined that being able to let go after being teased for long would feel so unbelievably good.

Damien shifted behind me and his arms pulled me even closer, to the point where I had to grimace at the pressure he was applying on my torso. God damn him and his strong arms. He really needed to stop going to the gym every weekend.

I lightly traced a finger over his defined biceps. They looked more like an athletes than a doctor's. And so did the rest of his body. The fitness of his muscles was evident against my back through the thin shirt he was wearing. I knew for a fact that he usually slept naked. He had put on the shirt as a favour to me since he seemed to guess that sleeping naked while holding me was something I definitely wasn't ready for.

Not yet. Even though I couldn't get over the thought of how his warm skin would feel against mine without clothing between us.

After about twenty minutes of daydreaming and admiring a certain someone's biceps, I decided it was time to get up. I wasn't used to lazing about too much but since I had no idea if I still had a job or not, I had little to do.

Marly had been here almost everyday since my return. She was in hysterics at first since she had convinced herself that I was dead. It was obviously a huge shock to see me alive and well.

She got over it pretty soon though. Her latest hysterics were more about my love life than my safety. She was creepily interested in what, when and how the Damien and me dating thing had happened. And by creepily I really do mean creepily. It was disturbing to say the least.

She told me that my job was safe since it was obviously not my fault that I was kidnapped. I couldn't very well have imagined that stepping on someone's foot would have led there. But for some reason I did not want to go back to work. At least not that work.

I had realised that I had little to no passion for what I did. I did it simply because it paid well and I had a natural flair for it. Hence why I was made senior editor so young.

Now that I had seen firsthand how unpredictable life could be, I did not want to waste my days stuck in that office drowning in files and articles.

I knew that Damien would have no problem with me quitting. He would be delighted in fact. His income was more than enought to sustain us till I found something else.

I moved as silently as I could to the washroom and started brushing. My hair had grown significantly longer in the past few weeks and I had to brush my curls away at least ten times to prevent the toothpaste getting on them. I really needed a haircut. Immediately.

After I was done with my morning routine, Damien was still sleeping very very soundly. He looked illegally adorable with his beautiful blond hair all spread out on the pillow and his mouth a little open. I couldn't resist the temptation of placing a kiss on his forehead. He was simply too precious.

I opened and closed our bedroom door as softly as I could and made my way to the kitchen. Coffee was usually my favoured choice of beverage in the morning but today I settled for tea. After all I no longer needed the alertness and caffeine induced energy anymore.

As the kettle boiled away, I debated whether to wake Damien. I knew it wasn't as easy for him to skip work when he had surgeries but since he was in the clinic now I had hopes that it would be okay for him to take a day off.

God knows he deserved it for what he has been through.

It was unfair how people were coddling me after coming back but nobody seemed to realise the trauma Damien had been through. A trauma no less painful than mine. Worse rather. He had been forced to trust a man who used and manipulated him without knowing for sure if he could really get me back.

I knew it wasn't going to be easy for us. Damien still had nightmares about me being killed and tortured. I jumped at loud noises and even though I won't admit it to anyone, it scared the fuck out of me to be alone for long periods of time. It was difficult to not worry about Alexander lurking around at every corner to snatch me away again.

My sister had suggested therapy. Apparently trauma like this didn't go away on its own. She told me to seek help before it got any worse. It was sound advice and I was considering it.

Perhaps we both ought to go to therapy together. It certainly couldn't do any harm. I decided to ask Bethany to find us a good one.

The kettle whistled loudly and I cursed. That was loud enought to wake the dead much less Damien. I hurried to put out the flame and poured the tea into a cup. The rich yet light aroma filled the room and I took in a deep breath. It was a soothing smell, one that calmed my nerves. Perhaps this is why the English were so fond of tea. It was delightfully calming.

I took a small sip after it had cooled down a bit. The taste was richly laden with flavour. It had to be considering I had paid a small fortune for this. Darjeeling first flush imported straight from the hills. I wasn't usually a spendthrift but I allowed myself certain luxuries like expensive tea and roasted Colombian coffee.

I could hear small sounds coming from the bedroom. A smile spread on my face. Looks like my sleepy lover was awake. I checked the kettle. There was enough tea leftover for Damien.

As I poured the tea, I was well and truly happy and calm after too long a time.

Because I knew now that we were okay. Both of us were okay. And there would be nothing but happiness from now on .